• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sleeping bag???

My BOB has one part of the 3 part military system.......the patrol bag.....if it get too cold for that, I have a lightweight fleece blanket, additional layers of clothing, emergency blanket, rain gear, couple of heavy duty trash bags.......you get the idea.....I think I will be ok unless TSHTF before I get home tonight......

The 3 part system is awesome, from my own personal experience. (never gone below zero though) One thing that a lot of people seem to be forgetting is the "woobie" aka poncho liner. that sucker alone will turn a sleeping bag into a furnace. Also with the military's bag, it helps to sleep almost naked. I know it seems counterproductive, but it works. Though prob not a good idea when bugging out lol.

For a BOB I would consider it since they can be had for about 100 bucks, but for a GHB, I would just keep the woobie, and a nice lightweight bag that will give you the best protection year round. And the Bivy cover is a must no matter what. I would sleep just in that during the rainy nights and it kept me completely dry.

I have been looking for a compact when stowed sleeping bag, I'm 6'3 so a bag that comes up past my chest is a plus and lightweight BOB type bag. I have been looking at a couple marmot bags any recommendations that are reasonably priced?

I carry an Army poncho liner in my BOB. It is small, light, and doesn't mind being wet. Those things have kept me warm and toasty many times away from a nice bunk.

A space blanket wrapped in a sheet of poly will keep you warmer than you think if you are out of the wind and weather. You can insulate it more with leaves and dried grass as well if need be also crumpled up newspaper works really well as well. Biggest thing is insulating yourself against the ground and weight, this system + some natural materials has worked for me in the past.

I have been looking for a compact when stowed sleeping bag, I'm 6'3 so a bag that comes up past my chest is a plus and lightweight BOB type bag. I have been looking at a couple marmot bags any recommendations that are reasonably priced?

I am not sure what it weighs and really do not care, but I bought a 0 degree bag from Gander Mountain last month for $80. I have tested it in moderate temps and was fine of course, will be using it outside in the 20s this week. we will see.

Comfort versus mobility. I'm unsure how extensively some have tested carrying a BOB+ a heavy 0 deg sleeping bag. I wouldnt recommend it. In my opinion the handicap to mobility is not worth it.

Personally i carry a 40 degree bag. I use a mylar blanket between the bag and the ground and keep a hat and cold weather jacket on inside my sleeping bag

I have the military three part system. It is great. You don't need a tent and you stay dry. Not to mention that if needs be you can share a bag with a family member since you have two bags and a outer shell. By it surplus on fort Bragg surplus.com. Best bang for your buck.

Back
Top Bottom