Small rant

Similar situation here at FT Stewart has kept me from hunting spring gobblers. I mean there's a dozen A$$ clowns stalking one bird... Although. my hunting partner had a similar experience like trader ron, but after unloading his rifle he lite up a cigarette and smoked all the way out of the woods. I am sure you've all heard the urban legend about the rookie hunter climbing the same tree that already occupied by another hunter?? I was fortunate to hunt a lease opening day, and it's got me thinking that public land, even if it's FT Stewart, is for ham and eggers... gonna start looking into buying a lease next year.

Hunting on a club on opening day, I didn't have any bad experience except maybe the guy a 1/4 mile away that unloaded a semi auto 12ga which apparently holds 7 rounds, cause it was rapid fire about an hour after sunrise. Maybe the guy is a REALLY bad shot, little early to be drunk.

My buddy had some idiot set 50-60 ft away that morning, knew he was there and didn't give a hoot.

I agree Bear, lot less people now.

Similar situation here at FT Stewart has kept me from hunting spring gobblers. I mean there's a dozen A$$ clowns stalking one bird... Although. my hunting partner had a similar experience like trader ron, but after unloading his rifle he lite up a cigarette and smoked all the way out of the woods. I am sure you've all heard the urban legend about the rookie hunter climbing the same tree that already occupied by another hunter?? I was fortunate to hunt a lease opening day, and it's got me thinking that public land, even if it's FT Stewart, is for ham and eggers... gonna start looking into buying a lease next year.
Opening day on public land can get crowded, but I've got to say that after opening weekend of rifle season the woods empty out well. We have more elbow room on the public land we hunt that any club I have ever belonged too and I have been in several.

When I was young there were very few clubs and there were tons of people hunting public land. Almost all of them wanted to get into a club. Most of them eventually did and there is actually very little pressure on a lot of public land now.

I agree. I guess because this was my first experience with people of lesser intelligence in the woods it pissed me off. I do know next time I'm out I'll probably have a mile of forest to myself

I am fortunate to be able to hunt on private property... I would like to try a WMA, but I am so used to the deer always showing up and no unexpected visitors like you experienced that I think if I did, it would not be fun for me.

The last time I hunted public land was probably 17 years ago. I got into my stand well before daylight only to have some jackleg walk into the middle of the field I was hunting over about an hour after daylight. He proceeded to "test" his new 7mm magnum on an oak tree in the middle of the field. That was the end of my hunting and my last public land hunt.

Back
Top Bottom