• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smartphones as Shot Timers - good, bad or lousy idea?

BHPSteel

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
Years ago, I owned a ****ty, cheap shot timer. When I no longer had time to shoot regularly, I gave it away to someone (if memory serves, to some guy I didn't like very much).

Getting back into taking drills seriously, and I need to start thinking about how I'll replace that timer.

Dedicated shot timer or Smartphone App? Pros, cons, gotchas? Any recommendations if I was going to go the Smartphone route?

I've tried multiple phone apps and they all pretty much suck. A Pact timer is a best bet for the cost. It's a little kludgy getting all the settings done sometimes when you are changing up between drills but it's not hard to memorize or keep a cheat sheet on your phone. There are others that are way more expensive do more but for the money it's cheap (~$125) and works great.

Phone-based timers are great for dry fire. You can program in a par time, reset time, and number of reps then get to work.

Live fire, you want a purpose-built timer.

The Kestrel KST1000 is built like a tank, and the front display that shows shot times for the last three runs (you can scroll back through the last fifty) is fantastic for understanding where you're gaining/loosing times on drills.

For a TRAINING timer, the PACT MkIV XP is hard-to-beat. It's a little big-and-klunky for "match officiating" use, but it can do things for training that other timers just won't do: Keyed beeps, Benchmarks, Lead Calculator (for Bianchi Cup shooters), Par Times, and a Ballistic Calculator, all built-in. Also, for a few bucks more to purchase skyscreens, you've got a Chronograph for measuring the speeds of your bullets.

I've been using their timers since the 80's and their customer service is great!

I have 3 shot timers. They all work just fine and do what they are supposed to do. I do like the Kestrel the best, simply because it’s very easy to use and it’s very versatile and well made, but it cost more than the other 2 combined. I really do like the big screen on it and the little screen is helpful as well. The other 2 the PACT and the Pocket Pro work just fine, they are just not as advanced as the Kestrel. Is the Kestrel worth $300…………well that’s up to you. I used the others for years. Now the Kestrel will pick up when you dry fire and it is Bluetooth ready for practiscore. I have never used a watch shot timer, simply because we use these for matches and it’s hard to share your watch. Good luck

IMG_6756.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom