• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Smith 642-2

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Short hand today-stuck w/B-berry. Alum frame, black stainless cylinder, 1 7/8" bbl w/Mag-n-port. Overall, I'm luke warm after the 1st 50 rds down range. It's small, light, tight and controlable w/125 JHP and 158 LSWC at 10 meters. Accuracy is typical great close range - all 50 in a coffee cup. The trigger is very disappointing. Worse than I've ever felt on any Smith. Very gritty and over 12 lbs on the scale. Many less expensive snubs are smoother if not a bit lighter at 10 lbs. This 642-2 will have to receive professional attention to be on par w/my Taurus 85 factory trigger. And the lock? No comment, I ignored it.

Most of those '42' range S&W's are sort like that. Especially the new ones. The mechanical geometry on them is just a little off. I much prefer the exposed hammer '37' series or the shrouded '38' series. In fact, I carry a 1992-vintage Model 37 as my lightweight clothes carry.

J-frames as a rule are never the smoothest triggers in S&W's line-up. They're coil mainsprings just never seem to be as smooth as the old-fashioned leaf mainsprings in the bigger guns.

Just finished putting in the Wolf J Frame reduced power spring kit. I went with the 8 lb hammer spring and the 13 lb rebound spring. The fit of the Wolf J Frame Springs is perfect. Although the 13 lb rebound spring is long and looks like it won't fit w/o binding, it goes in fine and works like a champ. The final tally is just over 9 lbs double action and probably the feel is about like the long 8 lb trigger on my Keltec P11. Not too good but smoother and a touch lighter than it was from factory. Not bad for $9 worth of springs. It still feels a bit stiff but time will tell. This one, unlike the Rossi I worked on today needs a bit of polish on the internals. After a suitable break in period I may also clip a coil or two from that long rebound slide spring and see if it is a bit smoother on the take up.

Back
Top Bottom