The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
Did some research but have not confirmed, are these grip caps called:

Butt Cap
Skull Knocker
Door Knocker
Head Knocker

Read a lot of LEOs used these on their K/L frame revolvers during the 70's and 80's. Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• 20220512_095839.jpg
    20220512_095839.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 9
Did some research but have not confirmed, are these grips called:

Butt Cap
Skull Knocker
Door Knocker
Head Knocker

Read a lot of LEOs used these in their K/L frame revolvers during the 70's and 80's. Can anyone confirm?
I wouldn't call them grips so much as a butt plate reinforcer..... one would think that the purpose could be the equivalent to that of a hammer.......

Those grips would cover the gun's serial number-- which on all Smith & Wessons is stamped on the bottom of the metal grip frame.

I would think that wouldn't be allowed by most police departments that expect tight control & inventory of the officers' issued weapons, and the serial number could be subject to an inspection and confirmation at any time.

Serial number has been stamped on the crane of Smith and Wesson revolvers since at least the early 60s.

I'm just guessing, but getting in and out of a patrol car for an entire shift for the lifetime of the revolver, would take its toll on the butt of wood grips. Moreso for the right handed officer.

Could also assist in breaking glass.
As far as beating of heads, seems to me that wood alone would be enough.

I thought the Smith & Wesson J-frame and K- frame revolvers made from the 1980s to present only had the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame unless these were K frame guns that were factory produced in a "target" configuration which means they had a target hammer, target trigger,
and oversized target stocks (because Smith & Wesson knew that the oversized wood grips would cover the serial number on the butt, they put a second serial number on the crane for those guns only.)

Modern S&W J frame and K frame revolvers do have other numbers stamped on them; I believe these are called assembly numbers or production numbers.

I had a 4” model 29 S&W with one of those caps on it, it had nothing engraved on it though. My Dad carried a model 19 when he was a LEO but it didn’t have one on it.

Read a lot of LEOs used these on their K/L frame revolvers during the 70's and 80's. Can anyone confirm?
Yes sir, I also carried a model 29 S&W Nickle with a Nickle cap, it busted out a few windshields, peeled some carpet back and was an all-round tool/hammer when needed. 1971-1978 LEO

Back
Top Bottom