• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Snake Bite

sniper62

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
101   0
Reaction score
One of my dogs got bit by a copperhead Tuesday evening on a hike.
i44.tinypic.com_6e3hus.jpg

Note enlarged paw.
i39.tinypic.com_2yy4g0z.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_1hugdv.jpg

After carrying the dog home I goggled dog care for snakebite. Anti-venom is not administered for copperhead bites and the overwhelming responses from various sources was they used Benadryl and the dogs did fine.
My Dog a 24lb, part Jack Russell laid around for a day and a half but has since recovered to 100%. No visit to the emergency animal hospital.
The snakes not doing too well however.
The trusty RMJ Shrike has been "broken in!"

Most dogs will recover just fine from snake bites. My mom had a goat get bit by one. It was physically fine, but went half-retarded. Whatever sense goats have, this one lost.

I have a friend who lives in McDonough, his Jack Russell has been bitten 5 or 6 times over the last 3 years by copperheads. She always gets bit in the face and her whole head swells up. He too just gives Benadryl, and she always gets over it.

I have read if you put mothballs around the outside of the house, up behind any bushes and in flowerbeds it will keeps snakes away.

I also read if you wish to catch them, put a burlap sack in a shaded area behind bushes and the snake will crawl up in the sack to hide.

Very glad to hear your 4 legged friend is ok.

I have a friend who lives in McDonough, his Jack Russell has been bitten 5 or 6 times over the last 3 years by copperheads. She always gets bit in the face and her whole head swells up. He too just gives Benadryl, and she always gets over it.

I have read if you put mothballs around the outside of the house, up behind any bushes and in flowerbeds it will keeps snakes away.

I also read if you wish to catch them, put a burlap sack in a shaded area behind bushes and the snake will crawl up in the sack to hide.

Very glad to hear your 4 legged friend is ok.
The sack trick works, use a couple of sticks to hold the top open. I'd use this to catch snakes around our outbuildings as a kid, looking for pets.

Back
Top Bottom