• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snakes getting your chicken eggs. Cure

When we raised chickens, never had trouble with snakes. Sometimes we’d pick up some biddies to restock, rats would get in and kill every one. Just leave them laying there ripped apart.

The solution is simple, do not use chicken wire , I have chickens for 4 years , have use 1/2” or 1/4” hardware cloth , snakes won’t fit tru those small holes , it will have to be a really tiny one and chickens will kill it . It’s also much stronger . It has held against coyotes and foxes too . I have seen plenty of big snakes around the coop they just can’t get in.

My mom caught a black snake attempting to swallow one of her chickens eggs and made the snake spit it out... she was too late the next day, the snake had already swallowed one. She likes the snakes, so an egg every now and then is acceptable to her and her chickens. This particular snake has been on the property for over 20 years, and yes she has named it.

The solution is simple, do not use chicken wire , I have chickens for 4 years , have use 1/2” or 1/4” hardware cloth , snakes won’t fit tru those small holes , it will have to be a really tiny one and chickens will kill it . It’s also much stronger . It has held against coyotes and foxes too . I have seen plenty of big snakes around the coop they just can’t get in.
This is the Answer! Prevention. Also works great for Rabbit pens & anything you want to keep predators out of..:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom