• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SNAP!

Spec is 38-42ft/lbs.
The manual shared here the other day says 35-39 ft-lb but it may or may not be the same spec. Some commercial aircraft wheels are held on with less torque than that. I'd go to about 30 fot pounds and call it a day.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 14
40 Lb ft is so much for a nut that holds nothing. It can be finger tight plus a little and staked and fulfill its duty just fine. (I snug mine as tight as i can get it without boogering it with an 8” pipe wrench)

The end plate does all the work indexing the extension tube and holding the detent spring. The nut just holds the plate flush.

The manual shared here the other day says 35-39 ft-lb but it may or may not be the same spec. Some commercial aircraft wheels are held on with less torque than that. I'd go to about 30 fot pounds and call it a day.

You looked at the wrong spec. That spec you quoted is for the rifle, not for the carbine castle nut. Read it again, or look at the pic, and it’s obvious.

Keep scrolling and you’ll find the carbine spec. 38-42ft/lbs.

I’m sure you know better than the folks that invented the gun, as well as those that keep it running under fully-automatic fire for the US military.

40 Lb ft is so much for a nut that holds nothing. It can be finger tight plus a little and staked and fulfill its duty just fine. (I snug mine as tight as i can get it without boogering it with an 8” pipe wrench)

The end plate does all the work indexing the extension tube and holding the detent spring. The nut just holds the plate flush.

I’m sure you know better than the folks that invented the gun, as well as the folks that keep them running for our troops.

Hah..Any one that has pounded dirt knows military guns are not pampered princesses.

The castle nut not only locks the tube in place but offers a structural support at a weak point.
Ever wonder why the castle nut is as long as it is.
A simple locking item could be thinner.

Say your in a hurry..taking cover..M4 in the ready position...as you go down you slip trip roll..bang bam boom...things get bent or broken.
I have seen several bent buffer tubes but the gun was functional.
Ever wonder why the castle nut is as long as it is...support at the threads and receiver.

One way taught to take prone:
One hand on the forearm.
One hand at the rear of the receiver.
At speed you place the butt of the rifle on the ground as you use it to lever yourself into position as you go to ground.

Now obviously you can't do that exactly the same with an M4 as your hand is on the pistol grip in most cases.
You slip and land on the gun..over time and hard use weak points will make themselves known.

For hard use guns always buy mil-spec buffer tubes, commercial tubes are ok for the non-working gun.

Any parts that are not up to snuff will present themselves sooner or later, as in the case of Cmshoot's castle nut.
Also a lot of parts on M4's are considered disposable by armorers who service the M4's that go into harms way.

When I was younger I had the mindset close to torque spec was gudentite, I was wrong.

I now know the proper way to assemble an AR15 be it torquing a barrel nut three times or torquing a castle nut then staking it.

Build a gun you KNOW you are going to use in a gun fight..you will be critical of the smallest detail.

Hah..Any one that has pounded dirt knows military guns are not pampered princesses.

The castle nut not only locks the tube in place but offers a structural support at a weak point.

Say your in a hurry..taking cover..M4 in the ready position...as you go down you slip trip roll..bang bam boom...things get bent or broken.
Ever wonder why the castle nut is as long as it is...support at the threads and receiver.

One hand on the forearm.
At speed you place the butt of the rifle on the ground as you use it to lever yourself into position as you go to ground.

Now obviously you can't do that exactly the same with an M4 as your hand is on the pistol grip in most cases.
You slip and land on the gun..over time and hard use weak points will make themselves known.

For hard use guns always buy mil-spec buffer tubes, commercial tubes are ok for the non-working gun.

Any parts that are not up to snuff will present themselves sooner or later, as in the case of Cmshoot's castle nut.
Also a lot of parts on M4's are considered disposable by armorers who service the M4's that go into harms way.

When I was younger I had the mindset close to torque spec was gudentite, I was wrong.

I now know the proper way to assemble an AR15 be it torquing a barrel nut three times or torquing a castle nut then staking it.

Build a gun you KNOW you are going to use in a gun fight..you will be critical of the smallest detail.
I didn’t realize it provided structural support. That actually makes a ton of sense. Thanks!

One hand on the forearm.

.......and, since you will rarely know you’re going to be in a gunfight, any gun you own could be the gun you end up using to fight with.

Back
Top Bottom