So far, I say "PISS ON 2018!"

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
Talk about a crap start to a new year.

Wife had to have emergency surgery Saturday before last (1/13), had to have her appendix removed. Then, this past Sunday (1/21), her grandfather passed away.

The man had nothing planned except for life insurance and a plot paid for. Which ain't too bad, until you find out there is an "opening and closing" fee for the grave that's $1100, due now, before the life insurance pays out. And even though he had insurance, it is hard on family to pick out a casket and get everything ready. I told Dawn our kids WILL NOT have to do this. I am going to start planning and paying for everything now. I do not wish this burden on them.

Talk about a real kick you in the privates start off to a new year.

Some funeral homes will hold the life ins police as collateral so you don't have to pay up front. Martin & Hightower in Carrollton done this for my step dad. May have to ask them about it.

How great that we live in a day and age that a life-threatening event can be reversed as easy as an appendix rupture! I'm glad the doctors were able to save your wife's life! Don't know if you're a religious person or not but I'd be giving thanks for the doctor and his medical team for what they did for your wife!

My condolences for your wife's grandfather passing. I'm sure he was a fine man and I hope you and your wife cherish the memories of having known him. But I don't think his generation didn't think about the end and the implications to the loved ones left behind.

But I applaud your efforts to make it easier for your children! My folks did the whole pre-paid thing YEARS ago and when my mom passed it was basically one call to the funeral home and they drove up from Warner Robins and picked her up and everything was taken care of. My folks had the forethought (I think they suffered through what you are experiencing with their parents) and took actions that us kids wouldn't have to deal with in our time of grief.

Death is as much a part of life as birth. And taxes. Don't forget about the taxes!

"Funeral home holds policy", the correct term for this is an assignment of benefits. If the funeral expenses are $7k, and the policy is for $10k, the beneficiary will complete an assignment to the funeral home for the amount of the services, with the balance going to the policy beneficiary.

Hope it gets better man. I hear ya. I strained my shooting strong side shoulder, and hoping it gets better without a doc. I strain muscles all the time, but that rotator cuff stuff sounds scary. Girlfriend just had ACL surgery. We both got hurt snow skiing just before Xmas. Fun time, but the after affects are lingering on, lol. I'm planning to make it a good year tho. Hope the same for you all as well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Some funeral homes will hold the life ins police as collateral so you don't have to pay up front. Martin & Hightower in Carrollton done this for my step dad. May have to ask them about it.

The funeral home is holding the policy, however the "Open and Close" is not a part of the funeral home and they want their money up front. It is all good, I will get it back in the end, once the life insurance policy clears. Just no telling how long that will be.

How great that we live in a day and age that a life-threatening event can be reversed as easy as an appendix rupture! I'm glad the doctors were able to save your wife's life! Don't know if you're a religious person or not but I'd be giving thanks for the doctor and his medical team for what they did for your wife!

My condolences for your wife's grandfather passing. I'm sure he was a fine man and I hope you and your wife cherish the memories of having known him. But I don't think his generation didn't think about the end and the implications to the loved ones left behind.

But I applaud your efforts to make it easier for your children! My folks did the whole pre-paid thing YEARS ago and when my mom passed it was basically one call to the funeral home and they drove up from Warner Robins and picked her up and everything was taken care of. My folks had the forethought (I think they suffered through what you are experiencing with their parents) and took actions that us kids wouldn't have to deal with in our time of grief.

Death is as much a part of life as birth. And taxes. Don't forget about the taxes!

We were very lucky, it did not rupture! Caught it early. I am not what I would say a church going man, but I do like to have conversations with God. And I do thank him for looking over my wife and the Dr. I also thank him for taking "Giggy" in what appeared to be a very peaceful transition.

Hasn't been a great start for sure. Glad that she got it taken care of and it didn't rupture. I know from experience what she felt. My father is currently in icu heavily sedated and on a ventilator. Not looking good and he had no plan or insurance of any kind. Dr's look at me to make all the decisions and it's been tough to wear these shoes. On top of that I was rear ended yesterday.

However on the upside, the wreck wasn't my fault, business is good and my wife and kids are healthy. So best thing we can do is stay positive!

Back
Top Bottom