• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So here's a question

IF, IF a big IF I ever had to go there (pray I never have to) but IF............I ask myself where would I want that shot to land on me..........lung first, neck next, and heart last. Rather heart than below the waist, you know what'a mean?

I saw someone shoot a deer in the neck once. It dropped right where he shot it, BUT it screamed and cried until he walked over and finished it off with a handgun. The heart shot on the deer I shot, however, ran 20 feet and dropped DRT.

I saw someone shoot a deer in the neck once. It dropped right where he shot it, BUT it screamed and cried until he walked over and finished it off with a handgun. The heart shot on the deer I shot, however, ran 20 feet and dropped DRT.

I've had em drop in their tracks from both, but I've also had to head shoot a Doe that I neck shot, she would have been crying but I got her vocal cord.

I've had em drop in their tracks from both, but I've also had to head shoot a Doe that I neck shot, she would have been crying but I got her vocal cord.

If the one he shot had not cried out, his buddy wouldn't have stopped broadside to me to allow for a perfect heart shot. I guess it's just how you feel about animal suffering and how comfortable you are with whatever is presented at the time. Every hunt is different.

I hunted a small creek with steep slopes and shot one UP through the lungs and out the shoulder. Talk about crumbling! Took hours to drag that one out.

If the only shot I have is a neck shot, I may or may not take it. Depends on situation, distance, what I'm shooting, angle.... I know people that have shot deer in the butt and dropped them in their tracks, but personally I'll wait for a better shot before I try that. I usually try to aim for the lungs, the heart sits pretty low in a deer and I'm not trying to miss completely.

Shot 4 deer last year. All were in the neck, but one was a top of deer high between shoulder blades out the neck. All of them dropped in their tracks where they stood, but the last one ran 10 yards.History for me choosing this method was my Dad loved heart and liver and would get upset with my brother and I if we ruined it.I like it now because I am old and its hard for me to chase them anymore.

My taxidermy did yell at me about my 2 - 8 pointers he mounted. Had large holes in the neck.I use 30-06 balistic tip and the exit wounds are pretty large.

Justin, how are you doing? Glad your on here and moving forward with your recovery. Prayers to you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom