So I bought this old Axe head.

PopPop

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
75   0
Reaction score
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG I was rummaging around in an antique emporium, and found this old head, $3. It is a Homestead by Collins in a Jersey Pattern. I love old Collins axes and had been looking for a jersey. It was in a sorry shape, goody! There is great fun in bring these old heads back. This one went into a vinegar bath for 4 days, I took it out today and started reshaping the poll and some other areas. Probably will try a cold blue after some polishing and haft it on a octagonal hickory handle from House Handles.
Oh, a couple of pics.

what makes it a jersey pattern ?

Jersey Pattern Axes are identified by the shoulder lugs on the eye, usually with a defining point. This is to allow greater contact with the haft. Also Jersey Pattern heads have the long angled straight line from the eye to the bit, giving a larger cutting edge surface.

Jersey Pattern Axes are identified by the shoulder lugs on the eye, usually with a defining point. This is to allow greater contact with the haft. Also Jersey Pattern heads have the long angled straight line from the eye to the bit, giving a larger cutting edge surface.

I got quite a few old axes. I need to look them over. If I pm you some pics can you tell me some things about them ?

Back
Top Bottom