• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So, let me tell you about last week (back pain from hell!)

ShawnZR-1

Default rank <3000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
37   0
Reaction score
Monday morning, around 4:30, I woke up in excruciating pain, I'm talking 9-10. Took every pill I could (ibuprofen, hydrocodone, muscle relaxer) and it didn't touch it. I could feel myself slipping into shock, wife dialled 911. Paramedics arrived and the first blood pressure reading was 167/97!! I usually sit at 12x/7x!!

So we get to Northside Cherokee and they go through normal trauma triage, but because I could still move my leg and I wasn't pissing myself, they dismiss my writhing in pain and they give me a hydrocodone, as if that's going to do a damn thing! I swear they must have thought I was faking it! They just wanted to get me out of there. My wife took me to GA Pain Management, they were able to prescribe Dilaudid which actually put a dent in the pain. Still couldn't walk and could barely sit. Somehow, she also got me an emergency visit with Polaris Spine and Neuro in Cumming at 1:00. They usually don't take walk-ins...
Wound up getting an MRI at 4:30 at the Northside in Cumming. They gave me a HUGE IM steroid shot which gave me some relief (pain around a 4-5) and I was able to make it through Tuesday, couldn't walk or sit without pain though.
Wednesday, at 7am, I was laying on a table, face down with a Dr sticking needles in my spine between L4-L5 and L5-S1! Epidural Steroid injections are NO FUN! Holy CRAP did that hurt!

So, right now, I'm more or less pain free. The big lingering effect is severe numbness and weakness in my right calf and toes. Definite nerve damage. I had a follow up with GA Pain and the Dr called me into his office to show me the MRI. The disc was encroaching all of the way into the nerve (that was the Monday from hell). He turned and looked at me and said "You shouldn't be able to walk!". Some of you saw me "walking" around at the swap meet with my daughter, looking back, that was a miracle!!

So, now I'm going to Georgia Physical Therapy, which coincidentally is run by a friend and baseball coach that I've know for years. They looked at the MRI and had the same reaction. How are you standing? I vowed this is never going to happen again. I am going to do anything and everything I can to strengthen my core and stay physically active. To say this is a life altering event is an understatement.

A Chiropractor might be big help.

Stretching your back and neck before bed might help.

Sleeping alone on an air mattress might help.

Holding your head back and chin tucked might help.

I had it so bad that I've had to crawl because it hurt to much to stand. Went last week for 3 spinal injections and next week they're doing a nerve cauterization to try for a more permanent relief.
If you've never had that kind of excruciating back pain it's impossible to describe how intense it is.

I have a lot of experience with back pain. I had to quit the rugby team in college 30 years ago because of it. I saw a back doctor then and he said I was a surgery candidate. He was also a close friend of my father, so he also told me that I could prolly work through it. I started Tae Kwon Do 3x a week for PT and in six months I was fine.

Conditioning and posture control are critical.

In my experience it is possible to move everything back into place without surgery. It takes time and PT to get realigned.

Back surgery and nerve blocks should be a very last resort, based on my experience. After chiropractic and physical therapy.

Monday morning, around 4:30, I woke up in excruciating pain, I'm talking 9-10. Took every pill I could (ibuprofen, hydrocodone, muscle relaxer) and it didn't touch it. I could feel myself slipping into shock, wife dialled 911. Paramedics arrived and the first blood pressure reading was 167/97!! I usually sit at 12x/7x!!

So we get to Northside Cherokee and they go through normal trauma triage, but because I could still move my leg and I wasn't pissing myself, they dismiss my writhing in pain and they give me a hydrocodone, as if that's going to do a damn thing! I swear they must have thought I was faking it! They just wanted to get me out of there. My wife took me to GA Pain Management, they were able to prescribe Dilaudid which actually put a dent in the pain. Still couldn't walk and could barely sit. Somehow, she also got me an emergency visit with Polaris Spine and Neuro in Cumming at 1:00. They usually don't take walk-ins...
Wound up getting an MRI at 4:30 at the Northside in Cumming. They gave me a HUGE IM steroid shot which gave me some relief (pain around a 4-5) and I was able to make it through Tuesday, couldn't walk or sit without pain though.
Wednesday, at 7am, I was laying on a table, face down with a Dr sticking needles in my spine between L4-L5 and L5-S1! Epidural Steroid injections are NO FUN! Holy CRAP did that hurt!

So, right now, I'm more or less pain free. The big lingering effect is severe numbness and weakness in my right calf and toes. Definite nerve damage. I had a follow up with GA Pain and the Dr called me into his office to show me the MRI. The disc was encroaching all of the way into the nerve (that was the Monday from hell). He turned and looked at me and said "You shouldn't be able to walk!". Some of you saw me "walking" around at the swap meet with my daughter, looking back, that was a miracle!!

So, now I'm going to Georgia Physical Therapy, which coincidentally is run by a friend and baseball coach that I've know for years. They looked at the MRI and had the same reaction. How are you standing? I vowed this is never going to happen again. I am going to do anything and everything I can to strengthen my core and stay physically active. To say this is a life altering event is an understatement.
If this does not correct itself in a month or two(especially numbness and inability to ambulate- GO to a good orthopedist or neurosurgeon. If the nerves stay impinged for several months the damage will be permanent whether you get surgery or not. I am a ff and let mine go 4 months. Had a discectomy to take the disc off the nerves. Immediate relief after surgery. Still healing but pain gone, some residual numbness in knee but doc says that will correct itself in a few months. I work out like a fiend and have always kept my core strong for firefighting. Surgery is last resort if your body does not heal itself but don't wait so long that the damage becomes permanent. I wish you the best Friend. GL

I had it so bad that I've had to crawl because it hurt to much to stand. Went last week for 3 spinal injections and next week they're doing a nerve cauterization to try for a more permanent relief.
If you've never had that kind of excruciating back pain it's impossible to describe how intense it is.

The thing is, it's not localized! It hurts in 4 or 5 places all at once! Feels like your leg is on fire, back is broken and toes are being crushed! I have a female friend that went through the same thing. Even she said it was 5x worse than child birth!!!

Back
Top Bottom