• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

So what’s the deal with pre lock?

The locks came just a few years before Smith started using MIM parts. While the lock and MIM parts may not hurt anything they certainly are not an improvement to the older generations. It's kinda a sign of the new era of lawyering and mass production the gun industry had turned into since the late 90's early 2000's.
Collectors just like it old school, and with tons of pre-lock S&W's on the market there's no need for them not to buy what they want.

Ditto. Pre-lock means "old school" to me. Built the same way S&W guns were built when I was a kid (heck, when my grandparents were kids!)
The anti-gun-lawsuit-settlement disabling lock is just ONE of several ways modern Smith wheelguns are not like old ones.

I don't consider the new ones collectible.
I would never buy one expecting that it will increase in value and be an heirloom to pass down to future generations, or an "investment" with significant BlueBook value.

Why? At some point, the reality that there have not been any significant failures will settle in... "old timers" who just "want things the way they were" will pass on, and having a lock that nobody uses will be the "old school"...

I have owned hundreds of guns and a lot of them came with integrated locks... I never even noticed them until I kept seeing people talk about them... So I did some research and there are a few folks *claiming* that the lock could engage or fail, but no real actual verified reports of it happening, and in the better part of 2 decades, I think that's a pretty ample proving ground, no?

As for collectibles... that's entirely perception. People pay more for things not because they are worth more, but because they want them more, and the reasons can be completely arbitrary... If enough like minded people have the same opinion, that determines the value. Or does anyone think that a $9 beanie baby is actually worth 4 grand? LOL

Perceptions change over time. Nothing wrong with preferring older designs... some people like a classic mustang over a new McClaren...

I was just genuinely curious if the answer was something real and tangible, or more ideological... and obviously from the answers, the mental connection to "Hillary", etc.... I have my answer... There is nothing mechanical at all, wrong with the newer guns from the lock perspective. It's just that people don't like having it forced on them.

Which is good to know, because I guess I can scoop up better deals on the locked guns, as less people will want them. :-)

It’s political as I understand. I don’t own any smiths as they aren’t my thing. I like tigers. But the hate on the guns with locks is because Smith & Wesson Teamed up with. Hilldawg and Bill back in the 90’s. But no Forearm company is perfect so it no reason to shy away from them if you like them.

It’s political as I understand. I don’t own any smiths as they aren’t my thing. I like tigers. But the hate on the guns with locks is because Smith & Wesson Teamed up with. Hilldawg and Bill back in the 90’s. But no Forearm company is perfect so it no reason to shy away from them if you like them.

Yeah, and Ruger took heat at one point for caving on some stuff. I don't hold it against them, as they made business decisions that they felt would help keep them in business, or not cost them military or police contracts, etc...

And so putting something on there like a lock, which frankly is very discrete and a new gun owner wouldn't even know it was there unless you pointed it out... just to make the nanny state happy without impacting the gun's performance at all, I don't begrudge them for it...

Being a fan of S&W revolvers, I personally find the lock ugly and ruins the appearance of the revolver. Would I own one, yes, I have had and have several. Nothing wrong with the gun, still a solid weapon, I just don't like the lock. I keep hearing about MIM parts failing and locks not working, but I have yet to have an issue and of all the guns with locks that S&W has sold, if there was an issue you would think it would be all over the gun forums.

There are S&W guys who hate the lock as I do, and will not buy them. Just like there are S&W guys that will not purchase any S&W that does not have a pinned barrel and/or a recessed cylinder. In my opinion, they are missing out on some fine handguns. The seven and eight shot revolvers are not P&R and they are fine handguns. Boils down to what you want. But I do not buy the argument that the locks are unsafe and MIM parts fail all the time. I believe that to be just talk. Oh, there has not been a recall for Smiths with the lock.

Locks introduce an additional failure mode in exchange for no benefit. If you want one, buy one.

The cable lock is far superior if you want to disable the gun. You will never confuse a cable locked gun with a ready to fire gun in an emergency, but it is impossible to tell if a internal locked gun is ready to go without close examination.

Being a fan of S&W revolvers, I personally find the lock ugly and ruins the appearance of the revolver. Would I own one, yes, I have had and have several. Nothing wrong with the gun, still a solid weapon, I just don't like the lock. I keep hearing about MIM parts failing and locks not working, but I have yet to have an issue and of all the guns with locks that S&W has sold, if there was an issue you would think it would be all over the gun forums.

There are S&W guys who hate the lock as I do, and will not buy them. Just like there are S&W guys that will not purchase any S&W that does not have a pinned barrel and/or a recessed cylinder. In my opinion, they are missing out on some fine handguns. The seven and eight shot revolvers are not P&R and they are fine handguns. Boils down to what you want. But I do not buy the argument that the locks are unsafe and MIM parts fail all the time. I believe that to be just talk. Oh, there has not been a recall for Smiths with the lock.

Yeah, I think the arguments were predictions that the locks would fail and MIM parts would break, that of course never actually panned out. But gun guys are really stubborn and once a notion is stuck in their heads, its stuck good! haha

Locks introduce an additional failure mode in exchange for no benefit. If you want one, buy one.

The cable lock is far superior if you want to disable the gun. You will never confuse a cable locked gun with a ready to fire gun in an emergency, but it is impossible to tell if a internal locked gun is ready to go without close examination.

If you never use the lock, then it's never going to be an issue...

Back
Top Bottom