• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Some engine advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
Okay guys, I have been trying to get into a truck for a few months now, but just has not worked out so far. However, I have another option, but need some advice.

My father gave me a 1964 Chevy pickup several years ago, but the 283 has been sitting on an engine stand since about 1993. Now I know I am not going to be able to just put that engine back into the truck and be good to go, but not sure how far I should have to go. The engine ran great before it was replaced with a 454, so I was hoping I would be able to slide by with a gasket set.

I guess my question is should I try a gasket set and see what happens or what should my first step be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If it was me...I would prime the oil system with an old distributor shaft, then spin it over and do a compression and leak down test. you may have some weak valve springs from it sitting so long with compressed springs on some of the valves. I had that happen on a 350 years ago. Engine was built and sat on a stand for about 6 years. Had several valve springs that were shot.

If it was me...I would prime the oil system with an old distributor shaft, then spin it over and do a compression and leak down test. you may have some weak valve springs from it sitting so long with compressed springs on some of the valves. I had that happen on a 350 years ago. Engine was built and sat on a stand for about 6 years. Had several valve springs that were shot.

This is probably the best advice you will get. I wouldn't even think of doing anything else until I did what ddennis said.

What they both said. If your springs, lifters, etc are all in good working order, a new set of plugs and wires in addition to a gasket set woudn't be a waste of time.

This sucks. Looked at the truck and there is much more work going to be need than just sprucing the motor up. Looks like I'm about to have a long project ahead of me.

First things first.

ih1.redbubble.net_image.12303601.4815_sticker_375x360.png

Sounds like a good opportunity for some pics, and maybe a gear head get together.
Fistfull is right, 283 is a stout motor, unless you forget to put antifreeze in it during the winter.Don't ask me how I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom