• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Someone to estimate value of old coins

coldslaw

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
91   0
Reaction score
Need a coin person to estimate value of some old coins that I have. I am 76 and none of my kids have any interest in them.
I don't know where to start.
Thanks

You start by not cleaning anything. Keep cleaning stuff away and don't be touching the face or back of the coins with your bare fingers. Make a list of what you have. If it is a lot of old Lincoln cents with the wheat backs (1958 and before) then get yourself a Red Book and look to see what the good dates are and then sort them out. Most places will pay between 2 and 3 cents each for the common dates if you have a few hundred. Most won't bother with less than that since they sell them generally for 3 to 4 cents each and it's not worth the effort if there aren't a lot.

If you have silver coins (dimes, quarters, half dollars, silver dollars) dated before 1964 (silver dollars dated 1935 and before) they are worth at least 20 times face for the the dimes, quarters and 1964 and before half dollars. The silver dollars are worth more. Again the Red Book will come in handy for good dates and potential worth.

If you have gold, that is another story, depending on what it is, the condition and the the dates.

I'd like to help you more but you aren't close to me. I've been a collector since 1955 and a dealer since 1976 and I have seen a lot of collections come in to pawn shops when someone dies and the heirs gather it all up and take it to the pawn shop or one of the "we buy gold/silver" stores. They are both the absolute worse (with some very small exceptions with reputable owners of pawn shops) and will pay pennies on the dollars.

Good luck. If you have any specific questions or just want to chat about your coins, drop me a PM here and we can talk.

It's sad when you don't have anyone interested to pass your collections on to. My daughter and my grandkids have always been around me collecting coins and my plans, as I get older (I'm 73 now) is to pass everything along to them they have shown an interest in. The other stuff is up to my wife to convert to cash if I don't do it before I die. She has a list and a list of people to talk to when it is time and an address to contact and send my holdings of silver coins. She has gold and knows what she wants to do with it.

Start with the CoinSnap app. You get a free trial week, so sign up, check all your coins and then cancel it. It’s pretty good for a baseline, actually. And you can save screenshots of values on your phone rather than to the app, so you cancel it and not lose the info.

One of the cool things I got from my dad was his coins. I doubt there is anything of great value but its cool to look through from time to time. I dont know if my kids will care anything about this. We spent some time documenting the descriptions and my 12 year old thought it was cool the first 15 mins. Ive thought of selling them or buying more but just store them because I cant decide if I get it.

Back
Top Bottom