• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Something you probably didn't know about Evel Knievel

BHJ

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
37   0
Reaction score
I found this pretty interesting about the re stocking of elk to native lands in the northwest that was pushed through Washington DC by non other than (Robert Craig) "Evel" Knievel
From Wikipedia:

After the birth of his first son, Kelly, Knievel realized that he needed to come up with a new way to support his family financially. Using the hunting and fishing skills taught to him by his grandfather, Knievel started the Sur-Kill Guide Service. He guaranteed that if a hunter employed his service and paid his fee, he would get the big game animal desired or he would refund his fee. Business was very good until game wardens realized that Knievel was taking his clients into Yellowstone National Park to find prey. The Park Service ordered Knievel to cease and desist this poaching.

In response Knievel, who was learning about the culling of elk in Yellowstone, decided to hitchhike from Butte to Washington, D.C. in December 1961 to raise awareness and to have the elk relocated to areas where hunting was permitted. After his conspicuous trek (he hitchhiked with a 54-inch-wide (1.4 m) rack of elk antlers and a petition with 3,000 signatures), he presented his case to Representative Arnold Olsen, Senator Mike Mansfield, and Interior Secretary Stewart Udall. As a result of his efforts, the culling was stopped. When the population grows, the elk have since been regularly captured and relocated to areas of Montana, Wyoming and Idaho.[11]

Pretty Cool Huh?
Here's the whole link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evel_Knievel

While I absolutely don't condone poaching. Under the circumstances, A man doing what ever it takes to feed his family though technically illegal, I find borderline understandable in a Robin Hood/Moonshiner sorta way. Especially if they were having to cull them anyway.
The ultimate end outcome is what I find to be outstanding and quite agreeable.

Back
Top Bottom