• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Southpaw friendly handguns

AK74U

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
89   1
Reaction score
Guys, I'm looking for a Southpaw friendly handgun for my mother. I've been looking at S&W M&P, and FNH FNS,FNX, & 509. When I say left friendly as in mag release, safety, and slide release. Any good experiences with any said weapons? Or any suggestions?

As a lifelong Southpaw you might be surprised at how easily she can adapt to a 'regular' gun. There really isn't such a think as a true lefty friendly pistol, even those with ambidextrous controls, unless you can find one with the ejection port on the left side. ;)

That being said, the M&P is a pretty well set up pistol for those of us who are truly in our right minds. I have no experience with any of the others. FWIW my semiauto pistol of choice is the CZ P07.

Beretta Px4 - G model

three sizes, has grip inserts so that you can adjust it to the size of her hand. Standard, compact and sub-compact. What I'm going with right now.

Ambi decocker is standard, mag release is easily reversible.

I haven't looked at them all, but I've never seen an ambi slide release.

The old S&W all metal semi autos (models 39 and 59 and later series) have factory ambi safety/decocker.

Beretta 92 has ambi decocker/safety, and mag release can be reversed.

Of course the ultimate ambi handgun is a revolver. Note that the cylinder on a revolver opens to the left, and favors a left handed shooter for reloading.

There's a truly left handed 1911 featured in this months American Rifleman. Mirror image of a conventional 1911...............

Thanks gentlemen. I'll take her to the shop and just let her hold all said weapons.
If you're going to do that, why not go to a range that has rentals and she shoot some of them as well. How they feel when holding the is not always the same as when shooting them.

Not much point in trying make handguns lefty friendly, imo get used to using a right handed handgun or you'll have issues using 99% of handguns. I'm a lefty and I shoot/carry a Glock in standard configuration. I release the mag with my trigger finger (what else is it doing during a reload? And no chance of being in the trigger guard), and release the slide by racking it (often recommended by experts be it eliminates the failure point of a stuck/dirty/etc slide release).

While this may be slightly slower than an optimized lefty gun, this manual of arms will work to reload/clear almost every pistol out there. Ambi controls on a pistol are not as necessary as on a rifle imo (where you might not be able to easily/effectively reach the mag release, safety, or charging handle as a lefty without mods).

Back
Top Bottom