• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Spotting scope vs. binocs for terrestrial viewing

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
A family member just bought a home in Portland, OR (yeah, me neither, but he's in love, so he has a good excuse). It's a beautiful piece of property with a windowed, elevated view of downtown, the Willamette River, the airport, and the mountains beyond. All kinds of cool things to view through optics.

I want to send him a housewarming gift, and I thought some type of tripod-mounted optics would be a great way for him to enjoy the view. He's older. He won't be able to handhold heavy optics, and this is a case where they will be set in place and rarely, if ever, moved. Portability is irrelevant.

I guess the key question is: What type of optics are more enjoyable from a tripod? Binocs or some type of single eye spotting or telescope? What's the best bang for the buck? How much value is there in a tripod that costs $150+ vs. $35? Don't want the tripod to look cheesy, either, as it will effectively be a piece of furniture in his living room. I also see that mounting a phone to optics is quite the range these days. Don't know anything about that or how practical it is.

All comments appreciated. As far as Portland comments: He's going in with his eyes open. The most hopeful thing I can tell you is there will be one more conservative vote. Spitting into the wind, perhaps, be he's prepared to take his lumps.

Binos will be more versatile and he can just not use the tripod if it clashes with his decor. Spotter will be better if animal spotting or using a phone adaptor is his thing.

I love a pair of steiner binoculars that I got several years ago. They are autofocus. The good is you just pickup and enjoy looking at whatever. You can also just leave on the end table. If he’s going to want to really zoom in and pick things apart then a spotting scope is probably better. Either way I would think he'll appreciate the gift

Back
Top Bottom