• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield 2020 Rimfire

djocon93

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Builder of Guns, Rider of Bikes, Waster of Ammo
127   0
Reaction score
Anyone have firsthand experience with the 2020 Rimfire rifles from Springfield? I have been on the fence between a 2020 Target model and a savage MK ii FV-SR as a suppressor host / plinking / training rifle. Handled both at a gun store last weekend and liked the stock and magazine on the 2020 MUCH better than the MK ii. Went home to research and reading online, several posts on other forums, youtube videos, etc, mentioned inaccuracy and feeding issues with the 2020.

A significant portion of the people claiming the downfalls of the 2020 had never actually shot one, and half the good reviews it got were from influencers who had received free rifles that may have been cherry picked. Since I know my ODT brothers won't steer me wrong, what has your first hand experience with either of these rifles been?

Watched in some detail about it on NRA TV this morning.Supposedly Springfield offers a 1/2" gurantee at 50 yards,but as they reported,was quite conservative.Also their target model produced well under 1/2" 10 shot groups,again suppossedly.
I do have to admit,that with not many new 22's offerd in attractive wood anymore,it piqued my interest.However its target model with the nice synthetic stock and nicely crowned bull barrell did it for me,I want one!its nice short bolt throw and The copied Ruger 10/22 magazine,were also attractive,to my way of thinking.
They also offer the wood stocks in 3 diffrent grades,in which I also liked,as well as its dull blued finish,that looks very similar to a Kimbers 84M.
If it performs as advertised,Ill be taking a hard look at one of these,sporter wood stocked models.At 5 1/4 lbs.with a 20" barrell,short bolt throw,adj.trigger and pretty wood,it checks all the boxes to make it a keeper!That is if it shoots as good as it looks....Ridgerunner33

Watched in some detail about it on NRA TV this morning.Supposedly Springfield offers a 1/2" gurantee at 50 yards,but as they reported,was quite conservative.Also their target model produced well under 1/2" 10 shot groups,again suppossedly.
I do have to admit,that with not many new 22's offerd in attractive wood anymore,it piqued my interest.However its target model with the nice synthetic stock and nicely crowned bull barrell did it for me,I want one!its nice short bolt throw and The copied Ruger 10/22 magazine,were also attractive,to my way of thinking.
They also offer the wood stocks in 3 diffrent grades,in which I also liked,as well as its dull blued finish,that looks very similar to a Kimbers 84M.
If it performs as advertised,Ill be taking a hard look at one of these,sporter wood stocked models.At 5 1/4 lbs.with a 20" barrell,short bolt throw,adj.trigger and pretty wood,it checks all the boxes to make it a keeper!That is if it shoots as good as it looks....Ridgerunner33

If they had a 1/2" guarantee I would feel a lot better about it but they have a 1" at 50 yards guarantee and only with "quality match-grade factory ammunition, in the hands of a skilled shooter". Which feels like a pretty flimsy guarantee to me. Kinda seems like they are building in excuses, plus 2 MOA at 50 yards isn't exactly impressive, even for rimfire.

Springfield is also one of NRA's biggest advertisers/sponsors so I would have a bit of a hard time putting much weight behind their review, which is why I am hoping to find some ODT members with firsthand experience with the rifle.

If they had a 1/2" guarantee I would feel a lot better about it but they have a 1" at 50 yards guarantee and only with "quality match-grade factory ammunition, in the hands of a skilled shooter". Which feels like a pretty flimsy guarantee to me. Kinda seems like they are building in excuses, plus 2 MOA at 50 yards isn't exactly impressive, even for rimfire.

Springfield is also one of NRA's biggest advertisers/sponsors so I would have a bit of a hard time putting much weight behind their review, which is why I am hoping to find some ODT members with firsthand experience with the rifle.
They sure were saleing the 1/2"gurantee,on what I watched today on the NRA channel....can you point me in the direction where you saw what they provided for you.I cant say advertising or stating a 1" @ 50 yards would ever be a saleing point.Ive also have never heard that a skilled shooter be part of an advertisement when declaring accurracy gurantees(thats a given to anybody watching).Also a mention of match ammunnition in an advertisement would turn off many shooters?To me a man would pick a good quantity of quality ammuntion to test groups from an unknown rifle.Plenty of rifles I own shoot better than thier guarantees without the word (match) having to be part of its sucess.
Further more it sounds as though you have a bias already with Springfield and NRA,Im not sure personal experience with a handful of people with experience with a 2020 would convince you otherwise wether gun was solid or not.
Granted I dont have personal exprience with it,but it looked promising enough to give it a try.However Ive not been burned by the NRA or Springfield as of yet,so your mileage may vary.
Mike

This screenshot is what their website says. You can see it yourself at the below link. The guy at the shop I was looking at them at said that his Springfield rep told them they define "quality ammunition" as factory loaded match grade ammo, and every 2020 Rimfire they had on the shelf had a card from Springfield hanging from the trigger guard with a 2" ring printed on it, and text saying that if 3 rounds of of quality ammo wouldn't group inside the circle it could be returned to Springfield.

I wouldn't say I've been burned by Springfield or the NRA persay. I just have a hard time taking reviews seriously that come from anyone who also financially benefits from the manufacturer of the product they sell. That's why I was hoping some people here with hands on experience would chime in. They don't receive any marketing money from manufacturers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118-184045.png
    Screenshot_20240118-184045.png
    167.5 KB · Views: 5
My apologies kind sir,they were sure saleing the hell outa of it this morning,claiming 1/2"groups.I see your point.....Something is certainly amiss here for a 100% descrepancy on accurracy.Ots a good looking rifle ,which got my attention.I was mislead to further the false advertisement.....you had the much better approach...
Very best Regards,Mike

Thanks for your wisdom...Now Im skeptical as hell,and should be.I too would like to hear some real world opinions from its use on the bench and field.Im too biased because I wanna like it.Its sevelte,light,good looking,and has 3 grades of wood stocks......

Back
Top Bottom