• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield Prodigy

2011 are just comp/range toys.
I mean if you’re a big ol dude sure carry it. But why? There’s lighter smaller guns.
If you’re gonna buy a 2011 (double stack 1911) buy one that don’t look cheap and basic like these companies making 1911 with 15+ rounders just to look exactly like a 1911 made years ago. That’s my argument with the cheaper guns. And why I got a prodigy over a bul. Cause I can make it better for the same price. All guns do what they need to as long as they function correctly. Just cause your rich don’t mean you need a corvette over a Honda lol
very good point David, and if anyone spends time at the range they can be as accurate as they want to be. I have always been fond of saying I don't need 20 rounds because I am accurate enough not to need the extra ammo, but in my older years and these crazy times, I am thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the extra capacity considering size and weight aren't a factor for my situation

Seeing stuff up for sale used doesn't always mean that they're bad guns that folks are "dumping". Folks like to buy, sell, and trade. If a gun is popular, and there are a lot of them on the market, then you'll see a lot of them for sale here (we're part of the "market").

I've got a buddy that is always buying the newest hotness. I'll let him buy it, I'll shoot it with him to see if I like it. Then, if I can wait about a year, he'll almost always hit me up and tell me he's fixin' to sell it. LOL

My EDC right now is a Staccato C2. It's a little smaller than the Prodigy / Staccato P, and makes a nice CCW for me. I would expect that with the success of the Prodigy, SAI will be coming out with different variants; smaller guns for CCW, bigger guns for competition, etc.
Thanks for the input CMShoot, I appreciate it, and l liked your comment about us being part of the marketplace, and I love this website, what a great place to trade ideas and firearms.

very good point David, and if anyone spends time at the range they can be as accurate as they want to be. I have always been fond of saying I don't need 20 rounds because I am accurate enough not to need the extra ammo, but in my older years and these crazy times, I am thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the extra capacity considering size and weight aren't a factor for my situation

Only times you can have too much ammo is if you're drowning or on fire!

Yeah and they have another use, home defense!

Tisas and a hand full of others look like 1911 palmetto clones of palmetto made them and just started their company today

That’s the key that no one seems to understand. They see these hand built guns shooting keyholes at factory. And expect their Glocks and 300$+ guns to require no break in period.

And then expect to manipulate the trigger like pros or easily like a 1911 with no practice cause they got trigger fingers with a console controller

Yeah and they have another use, home defense!
Yea that aswell. Honestly I think 2011 are the best for home defense pistols. Mainly cause the bulky grip ppl hate ( that grip makes pulling the prodigy trigger easy. almost impossible to pull the trigger and off set the gun. Cause of how the grips are it takes up all the space in your hand for perfect straight pulls (could just be me) idk but I haven’t shot a lot of 1911(but ik they are the easiest /fastest to get accurate with

If I wanna carry a smaller double stack alpha foxtrot s15 is my go too. Now this sub 1200$ is by far impressive. And does make the prodigy feel lower tier at the same price (pure honesty) but the prodigy is still unfired at the moment

Attachments

• IMG_5385.jpeg
    IMG_5385.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 16
thanks Steviesterno, I think you are probably right on target with that answer. I don't shoot as often as I would like to due to the cost, but still put about 300 rounds downrange per month. As for the size/weight of carrying it, that isn't a problem for me, I mount my pistol underneath the seatpan of my wheelchair, so size and weight are no issue. as for it shooting better than most, that is what I am hoping for, I love 1911 triggers, and that in itself will put a gun ahead of ay polymerpistol out there. and shooting a 1911 on a 9mm platform is like butter. super smooth. Thanks again for the comment. ia m weighing the odds of getting one of the Prodigy pistols.

UH60Driver UH60Driver

I also don’t shoot as often as I’d like due to cost and time constraint. That’s why when I get the chance to shoot, I want to shoot something I enjoy. Just back from Governors Kennesaw and put another bunch of rounds through the alchemy. At 7 yards they were going through the same hole and at 25 yards I was keeping them in a 6” circle, which I’m happy with given my eyes these days.

I’d be happy to let you shoot a baer or alchemy so you can see first hand if the juice is worth the squeeze for you. I bet K kodis556 would meet us with a prodigy as well.

I will end up with a staccato CS to carry. I hate polymer guns. I’m coming to peace with that. I don’t enjoy them. They are soulless tools to me. Do they do a job? Sure. Do I carry one more often than my nice stuff? Also yes. But working on that.

2011s aren’t for home defense, that’s what rifles are for

UH60Driver UH60Driver

I also don’t shoot as often as I’d like due to cost and time constraint. That’s why when I get the chance to shoot, I want to shoot something I enjoy. Just back from Governors Kennesaw and put another bunch of rounds through the alchemy. At 7 yards they were going through the same hole and at 25 yards I was keeping them in a 6” circle, which I’m happy with given my eyes these days.

I’d be happy to let you shoot a baer or alchemy so you can see first hand if the juice is worth the squeeze for you. I bet K kodis556 would meet us with a prodigy as well.

I will end up with a staccato CS to carry. I hate polymer guns. I’m coming to peace with that. I don’t enjoy them. They are soulless tools to me. Do they do a job? Sure. Do I carry one more often than my nice stuff? Also yes. But working on that.

2011s aren’t for home defense, that’s what rifles are for
Thank you for the offer, I too am a member at Governor's, and would surely like to take you up on your offer. I have never fired a pistol as nice as the ones you have. As for range distance, i start at the 25 yard mark for a couple of magazines, and then move in to 12, 10 and 7 yards. at 25, i generally keep them in a 8"-10" radius with my pistols, mostly within a 4"-5" distance laterally, most of my shots change vertically as opposed to laterally. I carry a Kimber 1911 almost always, but occasionally a Kimber Micro 9, or a sig 1911 depending on my situation. I have to say the only other trigger I have found that I like is my Walther PDP, other than that, i prefer 1911 triggers.

Prodigy an entry level 2011:
Fitted barrel, slide and frame....the other parts not so much.
This keeps the cost down.

The high end guns have fitted everything.
That attention to detail and higher quality parts is what you are paying for there.

The problem was the Prodigy entry into the market was poorly executed, and product reputation took a hit right off the bat and now that it's teething problems are fixed it has alot more competition in the same price range.

Prodigy,Tisas/Mac, Alpha Foxtrot and others are slipping to to the shallow end of the pool.

These are all decent starting points to get your feet wet and each weapon has its strong points.

Only you can decide if the juice is worth the squeeze going to the higher end guns.
Some guys just want to play with a "John Wick"
style pistol while others want the unicorn boom stick.

Reasons don't matter as long as you are happy with where your at.
The saying
"Buy once cry once" came about for a reason.

I buy nice guns...and project guns.
Budget, purpose and your personal expectations will influence your happiness with purchase.

1911 style pistols are not modern day style pistols designed to function with minimal care and maintenance.
This is what leads to a lot of the bad reputation these entry level guns receive.

Clean the damn gun before you take it to the range and start bitching about it on the forums!

Take more than one brand of ammo to the range.

Take more than one magazine to the range, preferably a different brand if possible.

Learn how the pistol operates and take note of the type of failures
(If any) you have.
Do some research into the cause and fix of possible failures.

In all honesty the 1911 isn't for everyone.
A CZ single action only or another gun may be better for you.

A Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette has much higher cost for purchase and maintenance than the Accord or Camry and a 1911 can run the spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom