Springfield Loaded 1911

Sheepdog

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
34   0
Reaction score
So I recently bought a Loaded 1911 and for some reason it does not have a half cock position on the hammer. It was a used one and I compared it to a new one that did. Does anyone have any advice on what I should check? I know its not that important but I want everything to function as it should.
Thanks

some Springfield 1911 hammers have a shelf rather than a captive half-cock notch, sometimes called a "quarter cock notch", because it leaves the hammer resting closer to the firing pin.

I think even colt has used this type before.

simply replace the hammer if you want the true captive half cock notch

original style ( captive)
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/captivehammer.jpg

newer with shelf( non captive)

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff35/kemays/uncaptivehammer.png

different companies have different beliefs on the half cock notch.. is it a safety or simply a barrier to stop the hammer on the sear nose in case it somehow slipped off at full cock.

if you had a series 80 type then I wouldn't care if I had a half cock notch..( I hate the series 80 personally)

What Jglenn said. It's objective is to get the hammer off the firing pin. Even at quarter notch, this is accomplished. Mine pulls back ever so slightly, and you'll feel it click. Barely off the home position. If yours don't do this, have someone look at the hammer real good. And or replace the hammer.

Having had one slip of the sear and actually fire a round in my basement, i would get it fixed if it isn't working like the factory intended.

As the others said: you might need a new hammer.

The use of a shelf instead of a half cock is, as far as I know, only used on guns with a firing pin safety built into the slide. The Springfield does not have a firing pin safety. The shelf should still catch the hammer but it will do so at a point much closer to the firing pin--about a 1/4 cock, as mentioned.

To release a half cock, you have to move it towards the full cock position initially. To release the hammer from a shelf, you can simply pull the trigger, but I would make sure the if the chamber is empty first. Supposably, even if a round is in the chamber, the gun cannot fire from the shelf position due to a lack of hammer force from this position.

I prefer the old style half cock.

Back
Top Bottom