• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Springfield M1A Shooters - Scope and Shooting in General

I'm no expert, but barrel length will determine velocity, right? Allowing wind, atmosphere to disturb the shot. I've been told 22" is a perfect barrel length for the 7.62x51. Also, an M1a should do fine with iron sights out to 600, mine will. A 300 yard zero, then dial what you want, pretty simple. Scopes are nice,but not needed on the M1a. A set of Crager SS's look good on a car, but don't make it faster. Go nekked , go long. JMO.
This is why the best long range shots in the word never use scopes. Oh... wait...

Simple fact. The better you can see it, the easier it is to hit it.

M1A’s can be squirrelly to scope mount. The external surfaces where the mounts attach don’t tend to have tight tolerances, which can cause mounts to shift or “shoot loose”.

I like the steel or titanium mounts from Sadlak Industries. They will send you a measuring kit so you can measure the mounting surfaces of your specific rifle. Give them the results and they will machine the mount to precisely fit YOUR M1A. Nice.

M1A’s/M14’s are a lot of fun. Not with the M1A platform, but I’ve run some 16” .308 gasguns to 1,000yds+.

The Nightforce I recommended is top notch, but more money than a lot of folks want to spend. What’s your optic budget for this rifle?

M1A’s can be squirrelly to scope mount. The external surfaces where the mounts attach don’t tend to have tight tolerances, which can cause mounts to shift or “shoot loose”.

I like the steel or titanium mounts from Sadlak Industries. They will send you a measuring kit so you can measure the mounting surfaces of your specific rifle. Give them the results and they will machine the mount to precisely fit YOUR M1A. Nice.

M1A’s/M14’s are a lot of fun. Not with the M1A platform, but I’ve run some 16” .308 gasguns to 1,000yds+.

The Nightforce I recommended is top notch, but more money than a lot of folks want to spend. What’s your optic budget for this rifle?
If you don't want to go through the process of measuring and sending it to Sadlak, they also make a more generic mount that you can adjust to your particular rifle. A little work with a rubber mallet (yes, I'm serious) worked great for mine.

Bassett makes an easy on / off mount.
Sadlak as mentioned makes a great mount I have a couple while you can mount to any rifle as is stated they will machine to your rifle.

I'm no expert, but barrel length will determine velocity, right? Allowing wind, atmosphere to disturb the shot. I've been told 22" is a perfect barrel length for the 7.62x51...

The difference between 22" and 18" in a .308 rifle would be about 125 feet per second. Hardly significant, much less a deal breaker.
The idea that a Scout M1A, or a "Tanker" M1 Garand, is necessarily a short range gun that doesn't deserve optics is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom