• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Springfield Ronin 1911

Like the look.....and if it performs similar to my other 2 1911 Springfields,they are gonna be good sellers and tough to get your "booger hook" wrapped around the trigger on one.....Look forward to the reviews.

Got some range time with the Ronin 4.25” 9mm yesterday.

Only magazine was the one that came with gun. Shot a mix of Georgia Arms 115grn plated reload, Prvi Partizan 124grn FMJ, and Speer Gold Dot 124grn +P. It shot the Speer Gold Dots the best, and was very accurate with all the loads tried.

The first several magazines had a mix of failures to feed and failures to fire. I believe that the failures to fire were due to the slide not being quite all the way in battery. I told my buddy not to worry, that I bet it would smooth out after a bit of break-in. As we fired more, we started getting less malfunctions per magazine.

I field stripped it, wiped out whatever black-in-color factory lube was in it, and lubed it with the homemade thin grease that I’ve been using.

After that, plus the number of rounds we had fired (less than 120), she started running like a sewing machine. No more malfunctions.

Overall, I liked it very much. The fit and finish was excellent, trigger was one of the better I’ve felt on an out of the box 1911 that didn’t cost multiples of thousands, and I liked the rear sight very much.

The magazine release was the stiffest I believe I’ve ever felt, I hated the fiber optic front sight (that’s a personal thing; I don’t like fiber optic sights), and it shot about 3” high at 10 yards. Also, the grips were of the type that I would call “slim line”. I have large hands with long fingers, so I don’t care for that type of grip panels. Again, that’s a personal preference, not a statement that anything was wrong with them.

I told my buddy that rather then putting a lighter spring in the mag release, I’d replace the factory mag release with one like the Harrison design version that is 1/16” longer; not long enough to be inadvertently pressed, but enough to give some extra leverage. He hates fiber optic sights as much as I do and will be replacing the front sight with a tritium model, which will solve the fact that his current front sight is slightly too short. I gave him a set of grips I had lying around, which he is currently swapping back and forth with the originals to see which he likes better.

All in all, I like the Ronin very much. I’ve been running plain black 1911’s for so long that I found the classic 2-tone appearance sexy. The rollmarks on the slide were understated, evenly applied, and attractive.......classy, even.

Back
Top Bottom