• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Squirrels needed for owl rehab!

Jack O A T

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
First and foremost; I am in no way advocating anything illegal. The 2014-2015 GA hunting regs state:
Squirrel Statewide August 15 - February 28 12 per day

That being said, if you happen to be driving along and have a little bugger run out in front of your truck and hit his head on your step rails (happened to me a few days ago) this would be a good use of the meat:

Fellow Shooters,

This is a general call for help from one of our club members and licensed falconer Mr. Clifford Cabe.

Dr. Patrick Hitchcock of the Lavonia, GA Veterinary Hospital is a recognized Owl Rehabilitator with over 35 years of experience. Over the years, he has help rehabilitate hundreds of birds and wildlife and released them back to the wild. He has always done this free of charge and many of the local Game Wardens bring wildlife to Dr. Hitchcock on a regular basis.

Dr. Hitchcock has been given six young owls (about 5 weeks old) to care for and he is is desperate need to help feed these birds until they are released back into the wild. Mr. Cabe has been helping Dr. Hitchcock with these young owls and has called for help from the shooting community.

These guys need fresh squirrels and as many as they can get. They've got enough squirrels to feed these owls through the weekend and need more.

In order to stay healthy, an owl has to eat about 10% of it's body weight EVERY day.

Here's what we can do to help.
1) If you have pesky squirrels that need to be thinned out...(and run into your step bumper)
2) Do not field dress. Take the freshly dead squirrel, put him in a plastic bag or zip lock bag and put in the fridge or on ice.
3) Give Clifford Cabe a call at 706-886-8585 and he will come pick up the squirrels pronto!

For kids only, Cliford has put a $1 per squirrel bounty to help get youngsters involved in doing a good deed (of picking up freshly dead squirrels) and earning money at the same time.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Pass the word if you know of anyone not on our General News mailing list!

My step rails just came in. I am working on getting them mounted but need a higher quality screw. As soon as i get more screws and get them fitted i will have as many as i can supply him with.

My step rails just came in. I am working on getting them mounted but need a higher quality screw. As soon as i get more screws and get them fitted i will have as many as i can supply him with.
Oh, I see what you did there.:rolleyes:

Lots of chicken houses in your area, would some chicks work? There might be a few guys willing to donate.
Good luck.
I'm passing this info on for a local club and don't know the Dr personally. I am strictly guessing here, but I think they want to keep the food source as natural as possible since they are to be released back into the wild. Others more knowledgeable may be able to speak on this.

On a side note, I saw some of GA's native raptors on display at Callaway Gardens last year, and the owls are some amazing animals. So was the Red-tailed Hawk who absconded from the show to catch a hapless squirrel dumb enough to be hanging around the raptor show. LOL

Yea took me a min. but I made it. Ya know the chikin idea is pretty good, owls eat small birds all the time it would be worth looking into I think. If small game was in I could supply you by the truck loads just from my attic.

Just saw your last post, I type too slow. I guess teaching em to catch chickens might be a bad for their health huh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom