• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

standard Small pistol primer

Did some scientific testing comparing the CCI small rifle and small pistol magnum. Loaded up 10 rounds of same load only changing the primer in the 300bo. Accuracy was identical and there was no appreciable difference in velocity. Also the firing pin strike on both primers could not be distinguished. I am convinced they are either the same primers or close enough u can't tell them apart. Take those results for what you will or give it a try yourself.

Rosewood
Did you chrono these ?

Did some scientific testing comparing the CCI small rifle and small pistol magnum. Loaded up 10 rounds of same load only changing the primer in the 300bo. Accuracy was identical and there was no appreciable difference in velocity. Also the firing pin strike on both primers could not be distinguished. I am convinced they are either the same primers or close enough u can't tell them apart. Take those results for what you will or give it a try yourself.

Rosewood

I don't see the difference until running pretty hot 556/20vt/20 practical loads. I have blown cci400's pretty easy in the 20cal stuff, and some in 556. I like the 450s and #41's for those. I saw a 50fps swing in 20vt between non-mag and mag primers with 18.5gr imr4198 and 39gr sierra bullets.

Did you chrono these ?
I did. Average was off about 30 fps, but I think that was just standard variation, the max and minimum of both strings were almost identical. The spread on one string was 28 and the other 76. I am confident if I ran more rounds the average would be closer.

Rosewood

I don't see the difference until running pretty hot 556/20vt/20 practical loads. I have blown cci400's pretty easy in the 20cal stuff, and some in 556. I like the 450s and #41's for those. I saw a 50fps swing in 20vt between non-mag and mag primers with 18.5gr imr4198 and 39gr sierra bullets.
CCI does recommend against using 400s in AR15s, recommends it only in bolt guns and the like. However, still a lot folks that don't follow their recommendation.

I admittedly never knew they didn't recommend 400s in the AR15 until I started this research recently. I foolishly switched from using Winchesters to CCIs because I always thought all CCI primers were harder than other brands. I now know that isn't the case with all primers. You have to look at them on a primer by primer basis. However, I have ran several 1000 in the AR-15 and never blew or pierced a primer. I do plan on using Winchester primers and or #41s in the AR15 once I can get my hands on them again. But until then, I will use what I have.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom