• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Started building a bench yesterday

HelluvaEngineer

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
25   0
Reaction score
Since I finally have a place to put one I started building my reloading bench yesterday. It is a 70"x24" work surface with some shelves.

I'll post some more pictures as I get closer to finishing it.

Last night around 1am:
Without Shelves.jpg

And about 20 minutes ago:
With Shelves.jpg

Two things I would do. Take the 2x4 of the front edge, use a 2x10 laying flat bolted to the top and put spacers to fill the gap at the legs, notch the side of the 2x10 to allow the sides to run down to where you can screw from the side into the 2x10. Doing that will allow you to mount presses easier. Right now if you mount a press you'll need 6 inch long bolts on the front edge. Also I would add more lighting.

Looks like your top sits on the legs, cut the legs back in the front so that the 2x10 sits on them and doesn't rely simply on mechanical fasteners to hold it in place, you'll gain strength getting it to set on the legs since you are going to lay It on its side and only have 1.5 inches instead of 4 inches of a 2x4 on its edge.

Last edited:
Yeah its not done yet but I can just us Lag bolts to mount along the front.

And I just ordered the stuff I need to do the lighting...needless to say it'll be awesome!

Just use it. When you find out the shortcomings use this one for your tumbler, trimmer and a place to keep your stuff and make your next one to fit your new Dillon setup.

Just use it. When you find out the shortcomings use this one for your tumbler, trimmer and a place to keep your stuff and make your next one to fit your new Dillon setup.

I am planning on getting a Dillon! Currently I am using my two Lee single stage presses that I've had set up to be portable since I lived in an apartment...now that I have a house and space I decided it was time for a real bench! This one should be big enough for all of my reloading stuff and the Dillon I want to get a little ways down the road. I should even have space to store my casting equipment!

That's a great start, much better than what I began with.

Haha, I started with a couple pieces of poplar glued together with my presses mounted on that I could clamp down on my desk and move when I needed to use my desk for other stuff. This is a big step up!

Got everything stained that I wanted to!
Stained.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom