• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Started my bench

3 coats of poly on. Now I wait a week and wet sand it :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377132367053.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377132367053.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 40
Looking good. Can't wait to see what you do with the hutch. I've been mulling over modifying the same plans. I am finding that my bench is a little to short and plan on making a new one this fall.

Checked on the finish this morning and it's smooth enough. Tossed the unfinished hutch on and my ar mat just to see how it would look. So far so good. I think I'll do the pegboard and make a shelf to split the middle section in the hutch.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377172129009.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377172129009.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 35
I was planning on totally stealing this guy's idea: http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/reloadbench.html but I don't think I am anymore. All I've got to mount to the bench currently is a Hornady LNL-AP with an automatic case feeder. I think with all of that extra stuff on it moving it is going to be a PITA so I'm going to bolt it to the bench. I'm right-handed and the left end of the bench is (currently) unobstructed whereas the right end has a 7' tall server enclosure next to it. Any suggestions on where to mount it?

In the future I may have a vise, swager, trimmer so I'll probably have some sort of swappable mechanism for those so I don't have to swiss cheese my bench.

On my last wooden bench with nice poly sealed top, I used rod couplings. At Home Depot I found the proper diameter bolts about 2" long, then got rod couplings to fit the bolts. Next I marked the hole pattern, drilled holes the same diameter as the couplings, and epoxied them seated .010" above the top. That way the press was bolted metal to metal, and the couplings didn't protrude up and get in the way when the press is removed. Not saying this is the best way, but it sure worked good for me and looked natural for a loading bench.

I was planning on totally stealing this guy's idea: http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/reloadbench.html but I don't think I am anymore. All I've got to mount to the bench currently is a Hornady LNL-AP with an automatic case feeder. I think with all of that extra stuff on it moving it is going to be a PITA so I'm going to bolt it to the bench. I'm right-handed and the left end of the bench is (currently) unobstructed whereas the right end has a 7' tall server enclosure next to it. Any suggestions on where to mount it?

In the future I may have a vise, swager, trimmer so I'll probably have some sort of swappable mechanism for those so I don't have to swiss cheese my bench.

Looks like that guy made one hell of a quick change / versatile bench! Cool!

Back
Top Bottom