• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Status of Bump Stocks

No matter how many times you say a bump stock converts a semi auto into a full auto, it still doesn't make it true. Words, definitions, and laws matter.

And if the day comes when leftists gain complete control and they want to ban all semi-autos via EO because you can pull the trigger to fast thus "converting a semi auto into a full auto," we'll see just how "hypocritical" you are...

There is no pro gun conservative majority on the SC. There are at most 3 pro-gun justices on that court. Neither Roberts or Kavanaugh are pro-gun or conservative, or would even know the Constitution if it slapped them upside their cuckservative heads...

So let's say that they create a law that says you cannot have a nuke that can obliterate the entire city of Atlanta...

Your argument is that your bomb that can obliterate the entire city of Atlanta, is ok because the one that is banned uses nuclear fission, while yours uses nuclear fusion to achieve the same goal?

Well color me convinced!

So let's say that they create a law that says you cannot have a nuke that can obliterate the entire city of Atlanta...

Your argument is that your bomb that can obliterate the entire city of Atlanta, is ok because the one that is banned uses nuclear fission, while yours uses nuclear fusion to achieve the same goal?

Well color me convinced!

Wait... Are we arguing hypocrisy or how our Constitutional government is supposed to work? :confused2:

I guess it doesn't matter because either way you lose.

But to your question - again words matter, definitions matter, and how our government operates matter. In the case of Trump's dictatorial decree, he failed on all 3, and so does anyone who supports or condones it.

In terms of practical usage, the bump stock IS a device that converts a semi auto into a full auto. It just is. Argue about how it accomplishes it all day long, it doesn't change anything. It was a dubious work around that skirted the law, and probably shouldn't have been on the market to begin with.

First. No, a bumpstock does not make a gun an automatic.

Second, if something is a workaround the law or skirts it then it's still technically legal. There's millions of things that skirt the law, especially in business. Even Trump has often bragged in his lifetime about taking advantage of legal loopholes. You seem to fail to understand that a legal loophole is in fact still legal. And it's up to the legislature to fix it if they so desire of have the support. Not the executive branch.

Third, try reading the Constitution again, especially the parts about what particular powers each branch is given, and also see the 10th amendment.

And as far as the NRA supporting this ban... Well they've consistently supported gun control that doesn't hurt their bottom line. Hugh's amendment? Oh and this little gem

Well color me convinced!

You shouldn't be colored convinced, because your argument isn't sound.

Fusion bombs are still nuclear, therefore, they are still "nukes" and would violate the law. Also, fusion bombs require a fission detonation in the first stage, so would still fall under any "anti-fission device" statute. In other words, the law would be violated, not the "spirit" of the law.

Now, if the Executive branch arbitrarily decided that gunpowder, in sufficient quantities, could equal the explosive power of a 25 kiloton device (and, in theory, enough of it could), and so banned all gunpowder, then perhaps you'd be OK with it. Following the spirit of the law, and all.

I for one am surprised they still let us have gunpowder, and it expect it to be banned eventually. They may even try to confiscate it all. After all, that tactic worked well for General Gage.....

I need to go take a shower to get the statist jizz off me after reading these last two posts.

I don't always agree with GAgunLAWbooklet on his philosophical opines, but on this one he is spot on. Look at what just happened with New Zealand and it's overbroad ban of semi-automatic weapons.

Listen to any politicians discuss guns for more than about 1 minute and you will be overwhelmed by their ignorance.

BATFE has it's faults, but it is full of technical experts, and if a ban is inevitable, I want them writing the regs, not the fools in Congress.

I'm pretty staunch in my 2nd Amendment approach, but I'm not going to the barricades to defend something that appears to mostly suited to 20's somethings making YouTube videos.

If Congress ever attempts to amend the NFA, we will be screwed.

Frankly, the argument about whether a bump stocks makes a gun automatic or not reminds me of the medieval arguments about how many angels could dance on the point of a needle, (or who is the greatest NFL quarterback, or is Ty Cobb the greatest baseball player of all time). It's interesting conversation over beer and wings, but at the end of the day, the argument doesn't resolve anything.

Fine, take the bump stocks, but leave the binary's alone
But that's just it. There is nothing to stop Trump or another POTUS from 'banning' something by executive fiat. Simply direct the interim ATF director to re interpret a rule. Easy peasy Japanesey. The Elmers and statist bootlicks will go along, as usual.

But that's just it. There is nothing to stop Trump or another POTUS from 'banning' something by executive fiat. Simply direct the interim ATF director to re interpret a rule. Easy peasy Japanesey. The Elmers and statist bootlicks will go along, as usual.
"It doesn't matter you shoulda already expected them to get banned cus they are like machine guns, dummy"

Back
Top Bottom