Steel Ammo vs Brass ammo, 5000 rounds

DaveTheMinion

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
94   1
Reaction score
http://www.dagammo.com/shop/Andersontech.pdf

worth the read, but for those too lazy, they ran 2 rifles in a 5000 round torture test. The steel ammo rifle had a broken extractor but couldn't be determined that steel ammo was the cause as extractors break sometimes even with brass ammo. Chamber "sticking" was remedied by allowing rifle to cool and could be the spec of rifles used. The brass ammo rifle had to have gas rings replaced about 3 times due to excessive wear and finally a carrier replacement towards the end. No more noticeable wear was found on steel vs brass. moral of the story, it takes a metal of equal or greater hardness to wear a metal, the steel used in casings is softer than that used in most components. Don't be afraid of cheaper steel ammo ;)

I read the whole PDF, and came up with three items.
1:Steel case sucks for most anything other than practice, It seems they had to wait 2:30 between mags to allow cool down or they had extraction problems.
2: Federal American ammo is very dirty
3:I wouldnt buy a gun from anderson manufacturing, They seem to have rifles that cant make it very far withough serious malfunctions. (two burned out sets of gas rings? really? something else is wrong with that rifle.)

I read the whole PDF, and came up with three items.
1:Steel case sucks for most anything other than practice, It seems they had to wait 2:30 between mags to allow cool down or they had extraction problems.
2: Federal American ammo is very dirty
3:I wouldnt buy a gun from anderson manufacturing, They seem to have rifles that cant make it very far withough serious malfunctions. (two burned out sets of gas rings? really? something else is wrong with that rifle.)

partly why I believe they had extraction issues is the spec of their rifles, not the ammo, so agreed with your 3rd statement.

1. If I'm going to shoot in matches, ill buy match grade ammo. If I'm going to defend my life, ill buy defense ammo, but if I'm going to sling loads of lead down range, bet your ass ill use steel :)
2. Agreed but so is most steel ammo.

that about sums it up. I didnt mention the steel being dirty as that is generally expected, but the Federal seems like crap ammo stuffed in a brass case.

silver bear? I use it an like it. I would use more steel cased myself, however most indoor ranges dont allow it.

Naw not silver bear its mfs or sumin like that it had a wright up on it I think some leo in fla use it on there range and the zinc wash was easer on the feeding and extracts some how..idk

Back
Top Bottom