• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Steiner Binoculars and a Clip on Light

4ssss

Army Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
42   0
Reaction score
I know, what's a clip on light got to do with a high class set of binoculars. The reason, they were free with the bino's and I'm really impressed with them. First the bino's. I bought the Steiner Predator AF 10 X 42 from B&H Photo in NYC. I've bought from them before, so I know to ask for a better price, and they usually do come thru. They were $100 cheaper than anyone, and they tossed in an extra $15 for the asking, so it came to 1/2 the tax on a $330.00 set of binoculars. They're the self focusing pair, and the clarity is incredible once you have them set to your eyes out to infinity. Without all the extra parts that a regular bino has, the weight of them are reduced, you'll still know they're hanging around your neck, but they are lighter than the old 10 X 42 pair I was using. They also have something Steiner calls C.A.T., a coating I'm going to assume, that makes things stand out by the color. Looking at the Ga. clay outside, they look like they really do work in making the clay I was looking quite a bit brighter than the surrounding colors. If your focus is on a different colored object, it seems like it does stand out better. I'll try them in the woods tomorrow, as I've found that I like to scan in the cover, and these will be replacing the cheap old set I was using.

Now, the light. These were a freebie from B&H, they usually throw in some kind of chatzkie with every sale. The light is a Coast HX4 clip light. Part # is 21077, and it's a white and red utility beam with an 80 lumens LED that's impact and weather resistant and they claim an indestructible LED. It's maybe 2 1/2" long. Has a clip on it for a hat or whatever, and 4 small magnets on the clip to mount anywhere you'd like. The head on it swivels about 180 degrees to point it onto what you're working on. They go for $14.95 retail, and It's incredibly bright, for a tiny light that doesn't weigh hardly anything. The pics I took speak for themselves as far as brightness goes.

IMG_5247.jpegIMG_5246.jpegIMG_5242.jpeg

IMG_5243.jpegIMG_5245.jpeg

I just got out of the woods, and I tried the Steiner's. The only thing that I saw was a hawk. I saw the tree where it landed, but couldn't see him until I put up glasses. I first tried the cheap pair that I keep in the shooting house, then the Steiner's. It's hard to describe clarity, but it's like night and day. The trees are so clear that you can see the grains on the outside. The leaves on the ground seem to pop with a redder color, kind of like wet leaves when the sun hits them, and the hawk showed up beautifully when he flew down and caught a mouse in the leaves. Did you know a hawk can almost spin his head around like an owl? If I didn't see it for myself I'da never believed it, and I watched him eating supper at the mouse's expense. The auto focus on them is a great option too. For maybe 20 yards, the field is blurred, but not to the point of you not seeing what you're looking at. Then out as far as you can see, it's all crystal clear. The eye cups make them really comfortable on your face, and what I found was that by opening them wider, it made the view lighter and brighter with the extra light coming in, I think. I'm really happy with the glasses, with my eyes getting worse they seemed to open up the bushy areas I can't see anymore without them, and I'm hoping to catch a buck napping on the side of the hill where I hunt.

Back
Top Bottom