• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Stored batteries!! Don’t do what I did!!!

JDUB

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
Ain’t that a bitch… c’est la vie!
100   0
Reaction score
Ok so everyone has a junk drawer with all kinds of batteries..especially if you have kids. We luckily learned a very valuable lesson today. Do not store loose batteries in your drawer. I know some of you will say “ well duh” and I get it…now. This is something I never thought about.
These 9v batteries shorted against each other and created a good amount of heat! They were really heat soaked so I don’t know how long they were doing this. They were hot enough to melt the candles also in the drawer. Smart right???

I put the tape over them right after it happened then decided I may need to share.

From now on, all batteries will be separated in some way and stored more safely.

Attachments

• 37F98DCC-923D-456F-AB83-3E1B0FA23A2E.jpeg
    37F98DCC-923D-456F-AB83-3E1B0FA23A2E.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 86
  • FDD29994-C5AB-457D-9E31-EC3062D7F872.jpeg
    FDD29994-C5AB-457D-9E31-EC3062D7F872.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 1CDA52CC-879A-4C56-B67E-E7A81B89E5D2.jpeg
    1CDA52CC-879A-4C56-B67E-E7A81B89E5D2.jpeg
    214 KB · Views: 84
Ok so everyone has a junk drawer with all kinds of batteries..especially if you have kids. We luckily learned a very valuable lesson today. Do not store loose batteries in your drawer. I know some of you will say “ well duh” and I get it…now. This is something I never thought about.
These 9v batteries shorted against each other and created a good amount of heat! They were really heat soaked so I don’t know how long they were doing this. They were hot enough to melt the candles also in the drawer. Smart right???

I put the tape over them right after it happened then decided I may need to share.

From now on, all batteries will be separated in some way and stored more safely.
Good reminder; glad melted candles are the extent of your damage.

Best $20.00 I’ve spent in a long time. We’ve had one over a year. Works great, no fuss, pretty sturdy. All the batteries stored in one place and easy to find.
Edit: has a battery tester as well

I had a six volt battery in the rear floor board of my truck a few years ago.

I also had a can of insect repellant (deet) well when I jumped into the truck at Publix I thought someone was poison gassing me , the can rolled against the battery , arcing and burned a hole through the can.

luckily it was not ether (starting fluid).

Doesn't sound like a junk drawer to me.
Batteries & candles are essentials when
power goes out around here. We keep
them in the batteries & candles drawer.
The junk drawer has stuff like bent paper
clips, dead rubber bands, a marble or two,
dull scissors, one chop stik, book of matches
that won't light (safety matches), bottle of dried
out Elmer's glue, spool of black thread, a few keys
that so far don't fit any lock around here, and a broken
ruler that reads from 7 to 12. Ya know, hi-class junque.

Back
Top Bottom