Sub bullets at not sub velocity

If you push a bullet designed to expand at low velocities at much higher velocities, it will be like using a varmint round. It will likely expand violently on impact. If for paper punching, no problem. If you want to hunt deer with it, could be a major issue. One other thought, the bullet may deform going down the barrel if it is designed for slower velocities and you push it really hard.

Rosewood

Some varmint rounds can be pushed so fast they self destruct before hitting the target.

With pistol bullets, doubt that you can push them that fast, but IMO you will get minimum penetration.

Check out Maker Bullets. They design and sell solid copper bullets for exactly what you are wanting to do. I use their 308 subsonic bullets in 300 blackout and they are absolutely devastating at subsonic velocities. At supersonic velocities the petals would probably peel off but he copper core would just continue straight on through. There is no core / jacket so there is nothing to separate.

This is too funny, I was about to make a post about this very thing when low and behold it is at the top of the list.. I can't wait to get my hands on some of those Hornady #30730's and try them Supersonic. I was at a lgs (Smallwood Firearms kicks ass!) the other day and grabbed a box of Hornady #30395 .308/30-30 160gr FTX's. I have only done testing at Sub-Velocities last weekend down at Hannahatchee creek with them riding over some Trail Boss with the Cannelure hanging out :) to make OAL and Ogive work with .308 AR's. I've yet to capture any but from the damage they do on 3X Gallon jug explosions/pass thoughs..? They seem like they were the basis of the #30730's. I just trashed my targets without pictures , believe it or not they grouped at about 2" and 5"ish low @ 100yd 18" 1:10 when Zero'ed for 147gr FMJ's. I wonder if the 160's pushed to 2700+fps would be likely to violently explode on impact or disintegrate along the way.. My Hornady X manual has a 30-30 loading for em' @ 2300.. I'll put the quiet and slow stuff away and load up some hot ones for jugs @ 100 and get back with results..

Perhaps a waste.. I would also like to try GT'S .30CAL offerings.. I'm just looking for awesome expansion at both velocities. Pushing a jacketed sub "intended" pill to super speeds might have better/more consistent expansion and weight retention than HCGC or HCPC ones.. I loaded some #30395's up and forgot them on the bench yesterday.. testing tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom