Subsonic .223 loads?

insulinboy

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
36   0
Reaction score
I'm just plinking in the backyard.. I have been buying up WPA since its as cheap as I can reload for and I really don't like loading .223. But I've been thinking if I can make something subsonic to shoot so its not quite as loud the neighbors might like me a little better :lol: (I have pleanty of acreage to shoot, but it goes straight back and uphill so I'm shooting into a good back stop and I've got 2 miles behind it before I have to worry about something, however I nor the neighbors have a whole lot of road frontage so I still have "closeish" neighbors, just nobody in the line of fire) Of course when one person starts shooting the whole neighborhood does and it sounds like a warzone out here so I probably shouldn't worry too much.. none the less I'd like to make some subsonic .223 loads..

I have currently 1200-R powder and 55 grain FMJ projectiles. Currently loading 20 grains (alliant says max is 22.9 but my groups are decent enough for plinking and the rifle cycles just fine so I haven't been worried about messing with it) Unsure of bullet speed as I don't have a Chrono yet.. Its on the list along with a shot timer so my neighbors and I can do some friendly pistol challenges on my steel pistol range.

Just looking for a good place to start is all to quiet the rifle down some. I plan on a suppressor eventually but haven't done my trust up yet and want to do it once so I will wait til I have a good chunk to throw at it so I can get a good one

Subsonic .223 won't cycle an AR but heres some load data for you:

Case Winchester
Primer Winchester small rifle
Bullet Hornady 55 Grain FMJ
Bullet overall length 2.2”

Load #1
Powder Clays
Grains 3.2
FPS 1060

Load # 2
Powder Tight Group
Grains 3.1
FPS 1064

Load # 3
Powder Trail Boss
Grains 4.0
FPS 1074

Subsonic .223 won't cycle an AR but heres some load data for you:

I greatly appreciate the data thank you, but your comment leads me to another question.

If it won't cycle the bolt on an AR then why do people suppress AR15's? I assume that you would just need a weaker buffer spring no?

I greatly appreciate the data thank you, but your comment leads me to another question.

If it won't cycle the bolt on an AR then why do people suppress AR15's? I assume that you would just need a weaker buffer spring no?

Using my operator terms: Flash suppression and signature reduction

A good 5.56 can will make AR hearing safe but you still have supersonic Crack

Back
Top Bottom