• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Subsonic 30-06 for garand

SOS

Default rank <500 posts Supporter
Survivalist
84   0
Reaction score
Planning on loading some subsonic 30-06 tomorrow. My typical garand 30-06 load is 46.5 grains of imr4895 on a 150 grain fmj. I was initially going to load 10 grains of 4895 on a 220 grain bullet, but since read that it would be too reduced of a load. Instead I plan on using some of my buddy's powder for his 300 blackout loads. Would I be good to go on using a blackout recipe in a 30-06 for a garand? Pressure for standard 300 blackout is under m2 ball spec so in theory I couldn't damage anything. Also I don't have a agb, yes I know I'll be hand cycling the charging handle

The 3006 is a monster case to fill for a subsonic load. This is where trailboss is your friend. Good chance your friends 300blk load still won't have proper case fill which means your m1 garand can become a mk 2 grenade. At the very least look into the cream of wheat fill method or buy a factory load (if it exists) so you can sue someone for your medical bills.

The 3006 is a monster case to fill for a subsonic load. This is where trailboss is your friend. Good chance your friends 300blk load still won't have proper case fill which means your m1 garand can become a mk 2 grenade. At the very least look into the cream of wheat fill method or buy a factory load (if it exists) so you can sue someone for your medical bills.
LISTEN TO THIS MAN
PLUS, YOUR GRAND WILL NOT CYCLE SO YOU HAVE A SINGLE SHOT
good chance you will screw up your grand.
at the slow of speed that big bullet will not stabilize or better yet will stick in the barrel just waiting for the next round

Purpose is to have some quieter rounds that force me to compensate for drop at 100 yards. I just like tinkering and thought it would be fun to do while I'm already hand loading m2 ball spec ammo. I may go ahead and order a jug of trail boss, I could also use it to load some real light .44 mags.

I've not reloaded 30-06 in anything other than as a Garand-safe reduced load, but when I was researching the topic in general, there were a couple of common themes. One recommendation was to definitely use a powder like Trail Boss, because it's voluminous and you're going to have nothing like a full case if you don't use something with volume.

Related to that was a consensus that some of the reloaders drill out their flash holes to reduce the danger of hang-fires. They added that once you do this, never ever use that brass for anything other than subsonic use.

I'm sorry I can't remember where I saw that, (might have been snipershide.com) but it did seem to me that in order to reload 30-06 sub, you needed to do a number of 'non-standard' things and a number of other possible issues such as whether it's even feasible given the barrel twist rate.

Back
Top Bottom