Suggestions for one youth gun to do it all

I think it’s chiappa or Rossi that makes basically a HR handy rifle equivalent in youth size that comes with 3 uppers a 22, a 243 (or 223), and a 20ga my nephew learned the basics on that system and it was a cost effective and solid system to learn on that was not complicated nor required a steep learning curve for maintenance

Thanks for all the replies.

Figured I'd give you guys an update:

Went to a few gun shops today but no luck finding any single shot anything. Maybe CVA quit making them? Not sure.

Anyway, found a Savage Axis XP chambered in .243 that was tempting but the bolt was super stiff (even for me) and i don't think my son would be able to use it.

Ended up with a Ruger American youth bolt-action 7mm08 and a box of reduced recoil rounds. It is really compact with a short stock and I believe an 18" barrel, if not mistaken. Haven't shot it yet, but overall quality seems great.

Also bought a HOG deathgrip tripod which should absorb some of the recoil at the range or in the blind.

I have a 3-9X40 scope for the rifle already.

Should be one happy 9 year old come Christmas!

Will pick up a 20 ga sometime before dove season next year.

Thanks again for the input.

I was going to suggest a bolt action .22LR; I wish I still had my Marlin Model 22. Something satisfying about working the bolt action vs a semi-auto, and safer for a 9-year-old. Train him on that with open sights, then add a scope later. Get some squirrels and other small game. Move up to a larger rifle in a year or two.

One of my first guns I got was a Remington 870 20 ga youth model when I was around 9. Damn thing kicked harder than my dads full size 12 but I still put many a boxes of shells down it.

Yeah that was another option I was considering. Something like a CVA Scout youth .243 single-shot & then pair that with a decent 20 gauge (maybe even a nice over/under that he would have forever).

That might be the way to go.
him having it forever sounds good in your mind. I traded off my double barrel shotgun for a turtle and a barlow pocket knife when i was 55 pounds and about 11...

Put a suppressor on that 7mm08 and you will both end up using it for everything. This is also practical because keeping a family worth of individual deer rifles running gets to be a chore.

Back
Top Bottom