• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressing an M1A?

Does anyone have an M1a set up with their can? I am looking at a scout model and the reviews I have read are all hit or miss.

Is it something you can do at home?
do you need a different gas system or components and are you able to shoot with and without the can reliably?
The Scout is easy, and Smith Enterprise out in Tempe, AZ has the kit you need.
39_ronw2idch1_1.jpg

Do you plan to use a scope, a red dot, or iron sights? I ask because you want to consider deflecting gas blow back away from your face, I use a USGI M3 Breech shield.

This is the M14 I shot at what I believe was the final SilencerTests shoot to be held in Toccoa, GA. Fisher/SEI can on a DC Vortex flash hider, notice the gas lock front sight and the breech shield. The Socom gas plug wasn't available yet, this rifle had a standard GI gas plug.

550894_490755767608283_1129010242_n.jpg

It wasn't very enjoyable to shoot. Like Kevin Bacon said in Apollo 13 "like trying to drive a toaster through a car wash" the accuracy really sucked, from my experience. I was using 168gr Lake City Surplus ammo. But I could have been a number of things, the scope mount, the can, ammo or the stock setup. I absolutely love the M1A but I don't think it was ever meant to be supressed or have a scope. I highly recommend
Putting the action in a chassis

I have one suppressed for about 20 years. What would you like to know ? A standard M1a with an older AWC suppressor with a 2 point mount. It is stone age compared to the suppressors you can buy today. It works well for what I want. I use full power loads. I have a buffer in the gun. I have a wolf recoil spring. I recently installed an adjustable gas block.

Have you shot it with the AGB?

I have one suppressed for about 20 years. What would you like to know ? A standard M1a with an older AWC suppressor with a 2 point mount. It is stone age compared to the suppressors you can buy today. It works well for what I want. I use full power loads. I have a buffer in the gun. I have a wolf recoil spring. I recently installed an adjustable gas block.

Back
Top Bottom