• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suppressor cleaning...

No2sc2

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
Banned Permanently
37   1
Reaction score
What are you guys using? I know if you got time and patience, clean by hand...

What about cleaning with those sonic cleaner from hornady? Do you guys recommend that? Which model would you guys recommend? I know it's not good to put the tube in the cleaner due to damage on finish.

Get the manufacturers advice here . Most cans actually work a little better with some amount of crap built up on the internals from what I have read on other boards and more than one manufacturer wants to clean your can for you . remember that cleaning solution is going to be heavy in lead and other bad stuff . use rubber gloves and other precautions as needed

what kind of can? titanium and stainless, use vinegar or 50/50 vinegar, hydrogen peroxide. both with dissolve lead, powder and carbon. will produce lead acetate which gets absorbed easily into the skin. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES! label the solution as a hazmat and dispose of at a hazmat disposal area. if they dont know what lead acetate is, say battery acid. if your can is aluminum or has aluminum parts DONT USE VINEGAR OR THE DIP. it eats aluminum. your best bet in this case is...i dunno. seems soaking in solvent of choice, scraping and/or bead/soda blasting are the prefered ways.

rimfire cans need cleaning frequently. i do every 500. pistol cans need it every 5-10k depending. rifle, meh, it will out live you, dont waste your time.

I use a steel/copper wire brush and a dental pick for lead deposits. Carb cleaner and brush, pick, pick, pick at chunks of lead, then CLP and wire brush-avoiding rubber seals. I now use bearing grease on the cap ends. The manufacturer recommended anti-seize (spark plug type) but that resulted in an overnight trip back to YHM. A tech said use regular bearing grease and never an issue since.

Use care when blasting-lead dust and possibly silica aerosolized hazards require an appropriate mask-personal protective equipment (PPE).

I use a steel/copper wire brush and a dental pick for lead deposits. Carb cleaner and brush, pick, pick, pick at chunks of lead, then CLP and wire brush-avoiding rubber seals. I now use bearing grease on the cap ends. The manufacturer recommended anti-seize (spark plug type) but that resulted in an overnight trip back to YHM. A tech said use regular bearing grease and never an issue since.

Use care when blasting-lead dust and possibly silica aerosolized hazards require an appropriate mask-personal protective equipment (PPE).

Hmmm I think since these gun company are so great, I'm just going to use CLP and whatever I have to clean it, if it gets too bad, I'll send it back to the company to clean for me maybe even replace it if it gets too bad :D I should have a backup suppressor coming in 4 months! :D

Back
Top Bottom