suppressor

Im going to move this to the class 3 section. First you need a lawyer or someone to set up a trust. You then go to a dealer who sells suppressors and they walk you though the rest. Just bring you check book as you have to pay the ATF 200 bucks to own it. AS for the the color fill there is a section at the top of firearms chat that show you how to color fill.

Just a side note, I did the LEO approval route on mine. If your Class 3 dealer is in the same county where you live, this could be an option.

I'm sure someone will chime in with the differences between the two routes but the LEO approval saved me a few $$ on having an attorney do a trust for me.

Still need that $200 check to the gubbament though.

Downside to the LEO is that you have to have their signature EVERY time you want something .... and you need to send a pic and finger prints every time as well. With a trust, you just go to the dealer say here is some money please give me a serial number to put on this form so I can send it to the gubmint and wait.

Downside to the LEO is that you have to have their signature EVERY time you want something .... and you need to send a pic and finger prints every time as well. With a trust, you just go to the dealer say here is some money please give me a serial number to put on this form so I can send it to the gubmint and wait.

This. The chief leo with clayton county was not very helpful to me. I just did the trust and ill never look back!

You have two options.

The trust option as mentioned above. Some people use a lawyer some use Quicken Trust / NOLO.com The advantage of the trust is that you can assign trustees to the suppressor and no CLEO sign off is required. Then when you pass on the suppressor can be passed down to your trustee. Some people have to go the trust route because it's difficult to get a CLEO sign off.

The other option is a CLEO sign off. You have to get your CLEO to sign off on your forms. This requires 2 passport photos, finger prints, and of course the sign off. For some people this is a quick way to get into NFA items. For others, their CLEO wont sign off on it for some reason. The significant disadvantage is that when you pass on, the suppressor or say firearm, has to be destroyed.

Lastly, say if you originally had your suppressor on a sign off and want to move it into a trust. You'll have to pay the $200 again to transfer it.

If you live in Newnan, you will have no problems getting a sign off.

Last edited:
I did CLEO sign off, mainly because I like to actually own what I spend large sums of money on.

You do legally own it with Trust and corporate. You own the trust/corp, and the Trust/corp owns the NFA item. Pretty much you are your boss of it. I like Trust as corps you have to maintain license every year but it cost less to make a corp in the beginning but in the long run, you'll have to pay the fees every time.

You have two options.

The trust option as mentioned above. Some people use a lawyer some use Quicken Trust / NOLO.com The advantage of the trust is that you can assign trustees to the suppressor and no CLEO sign off is required. Then when you pass on the suppressor can be passed down to your trustee. Some people have to go the trust route because it's difficult to get a CLEO sign off.

The other option is a CLEO sign off. You have to get your CLEO to sign off on your forms. This requires 2 passport photos, finger prints, and of course the sign off. For some people this is a quick way to get into NFA items. For others, their CLEO wont sign off on it for some reason. The significant disadvantage is that when you pass on, the suppressor or say firearm, has to be destroyed.

Lastly, say if you originally had your suppressor on a sign off and want to move it into a trust. You'll have to pay the $200 again to transfer it.

If you live in Newnan, you will have no problems getting a sign off.

Correct except for one major caveat. The firearm does NOT have to be destroyed when you die. It transfers tax free to your heir in fact.

Back
Top Bottom