Survival knife ?

Thinking about getting one of the Schrade SCHF9s. Just not willing to bank a hundred bucks in a knife. The SCHF9s look like they are beefy and durable but only about 40 bucks.

I was tinkering today with my Cold Steel G I Tanto and Glock Field Knife. Chopped a branch off a tree(well it was mostly broken off so I finished removing it), put a crude point on it and cleaned the small branches and knots from it with the GI Tanto. Came to the conclusion that the tanto really isn't optimal for chopping as it's a little too light and the grip is too slick. Did a little batoning with it and it's great there, but swinging it was a bit more chore than I liked. The Glock is, of course even lighter but at least the contours of the grip give more purchase.

The blade shape and grip texture of the Schrade look like it is better than both for fire prep.

Went ahead and ordered the SCHF9 and a Cold Steel Survival Edge. Bother VERY reasonable and the total order was <$60 shipped.

I don't want to pay too much for a knife that may get lost or broken in the woods (although I'm sure a good quality one won't break as easily).
The other day I was rappelling and reached for my cellphone in my back pocket to get a short video. My folding knife was in that same pocket. The rim of the protective case on my phone snagged the knife and lifted it out of my pocket. Knife fell into a crevice in the rocks, never to be seen again. I'm glad it was a $6 knife from the auto parts store, rather than a $200 knife.

I have a number of knives from custom to off the shelf stuff....like people said, I have numerous Esee blades...but my Laser Strike goes every where I do!

Its the perfect balance for me big knife and a knife that is good for delicate work!

Back
Top Bottom