• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Swiss K31 Knowledge Dump

Gixxer

Default rank <750 posts
Enthusiast
33   0
Reaction score
I am about to allocate the funds necessary to make a few purchases, among the less practical is another firearm. My heart is leaning heavily toward a K31.

The historical significance of them, the design and bolt mechanism. Simply put,

1678290949194.png

So please, if you have any information that would be beneficial to a perspective new owner of one. By all means share the love!

Thank you for the reply. I've read through the wiki page a couple times and watched some vids. Was curious if there was any nuance to actually shooting them or what kind of performance folks on here have gotten out of one.

There used to be some decent aftermarket kit for them.

A no-drill scope mount that unfortunately uses a 3/8" dovetail for the rings...it works ok though. Also a bolt-on compensator that does a decent job of mitigating the recoil.

GP11 surplus ammo is match grade. But it has all but dried up these days. You can still usually find PPU available. Not cheap, though.

Buck/round plus shipping and tax I assume. Look on the bright side - it will easily take any game in GA.

Bayonets have skyrocketed in price, too.

Magazines are almost unobtanium and the cardboard stripper clips, if you can find them, are outrageous.

In all honesty I haven't measured mine for consistent groups...but I'd guess about 1-1/2 or so moa at 100 yards. And that was using a scope. My eyes are too old to be effectively using the leaf sights.

The stocks are usually beat up from being carried up and down the Swiss mountains. Metal can range from ok to beautiful. Love the straight pull action. You do have to make sure you slam it home into battery just to make sure.

Good luck with your decision. They are fine pieces, for sure. I got hooked early but don't shoot as often as I would like.

There used to be some decent aftermarket kit for them.

A no-drill scope mount that unfortunately uses a 3/8" dovetail for the rings...it works ok though. Also a bolt-on compensator that does a decent job of mitigating the recoil.

GP11 surplus ammo is match grade. But it has all but dried up these days. You can still usually find PPU available. Not cheap, though.

Buck/round plus shipping and tax I assume. Look on the bright side - it will easily take any game in GA.

Bayonets have skyrocketed in price, too.

Magazines are almost unobtanium and the cardboard stripper clips, if you can find them, are outrageous.

In all honesty I haven't measured mine for consistent groups...but I'd guess about 1-1/2 or so moa at 100 yards. And that was using a scope. My eyes are too old to be effectively using the leaf sights.

The stocks are usually beat up from being carried up and down the Swiss mountains. Metal can range from ok to beautiful. Love the straight pull action. You do have to make sure you slam it home into battery just to make sure.

Good luck with your decision. They are fine pieces, for sure. I got hooked early but don't shoot as often as I would like.

Well said man.

I've been fighting off the urge to buy a k31 diopter sight for several years now. Maybe if I was able to shoot them more often....

They are exceptional shooters and as long as you don’t mess with the stock and the shims when cleaning. Manipulating the action is fun and it’s quick, also the troop tag if available is a cool addition I found where my rifle had been and got to see the house on street view lolol

Resurrecting my own thread to ask,

Does anyone know where to find the front sight adjustment tool?

Or knows a proper method to adjust the windage drift for the front sight post?

Resurrecting my own thread to ask,

Does anyone know where to find the front sight adjustment tool?

Or knows a proper method to adjust the windage drift for the front sight post?

Thank you for your reply. I saw those as well. I suppose they aren't in large numbers anymore but I saw somewhere that these things shouldn't be more than 30 or 40 bucks. 100 dollars is pretty steep.

Back
Top Bottom