• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

T/C Encore Good or bad?

BigWill13

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
What do you know about them as quality and value? Been looking at the handgun version in 460 S&W maybe. Any thoughts. Have never shot one, just wanted to get some information before buying one. Thanks

My experience with the handgun length versions has been very positive. I've experienced mixed performance from rifle and carbine versions of both the Encore and Contender. I'd shop for a used one, as when I've bought them new I've lost my xxx on em.

Last edited:
I've always gotten great results from mine. As long as you don't treat it like a bolt action. Shoot it from a rest with the support as close to the trigger as you can get it and not from the end of the barrel. I've got a 223 barrel that put three shots into a group smaller than a dime while shooting over the top of my range box. Based on the experiences of others I know that there are bad barrels out there, but I've been fortunate to avoid them.

There is also lots of room to make changes (trigger pull, barrel lockup, etc) so if you want to tinker you can do that. And, there are several custom barrel makers out there that can build you pretty much anything you can dream of.

My favorite aspect is that with an allen wrench and a screw driver I can go from a pistol to a rifle and back - and the feel never changes. It always has the same trigger pull and touch. Best of all, for $200 or less I can buy a new barrel of any caliber I want (if I'm patient and wait for the sale)

Second what Crubear said. I only have rifle barrels (22LR,.204,.243,300WinMag) all of them shoot good with the exception of the 22LR, it shots excellent.

I've shot the encore in 7mm-08 from a 15" barrel and the recoil was very managable. Would compare it to a 44mag with a 6-8 inch barrel.

Some say single shots can't be reloaded quickly. I've seen a guy I hunt with see two does shot the one, reload, and get the second one just as it started to run off. Granted he is a better shot than most but he did reload and get both deer.

One thing I really like about a single shot like the encore. I can safely walk with one in the chamber with the hammer down. I don't have to worry about the saftey coming off or a branch pulling the trigger until after I pull the hammer back. Can't say that so much with a bolt action. To many people walk around with one in the chamber thinking the saftey is good enough, then BANG. Rare, yes...but it happens.

not a tc fan. they're good but not great. but they cost like they'r great. i'd rather have a handi rifle. not as fancy but just as accurate. my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom