• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Target Plates for shooting .22 to 7.62x39

I have had a 3/8 steel AR500 plate that I normally shoot at with any pistol from 25 yds and any lead-core rifle rounds at 100 yards or 200 yards.
A friend and I once shot .223 at it from 25 yards, forgetting the possibility of plate damage, and YES, there was damage. Tiny dimples that I don't think were too serious YET, but anything other than a smooth flat clean surface makes the plate less safe and calls for you being farther away when you shoot it next time with any load. A dimpled plate can fling bullet splatter back toward the firing line.

ONE OTHER THING: If you use steel bolts or chains to hang the plate, THAT METAL STUFF can also send bullet splatter headed your way.

AND FINALLY, Be aware that a 3/8" thick, 12" diameter steel plate is HEAVY, and it doesn't swing much when hit with pistol calibers. Barely moves when a .22 rimfire smacks it. Therefore, I bought a 4" diameter steel target so it reacts more when hit.
If I wanted to have a plate that was only for non-magnum handguns, NEVER to get shot at by any rifle, I think I'd go with 1/4" thick plates so they weigh less and swing more upon impact.

I use 1/2” AR500 plates at 150 yards. Pistols do nothing as close as 10 yards. 7.62x39 steel cased with bi-metal jacket which almost all cheap Russian is takes chunks out. They have a steel jacket lead core. 6.5 CM, 7.62x39 Copper plated lead core, 450 BM HP’s, 223 FMJ, 45-70 has done nothing to it. 45-70 full power loads have left the slightest of dents but that got my shoulder more than anything. I go with the Buy once Cry Once method. Attach them when carriage bolts and chains or those cheap black bungee cords hold up decent too.

Back
Top Bottom