Taurus Revolver Help

Retired Army

Army Icon
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
I’m looking for some information/assistance in an older revolver I used to own. As far as I remember, it was a Taurus, marked Made in Brazil, 6 shot .357 magnum. Blued and Taurus wood grips. I think it was a 4” barrel. It was a very good shooter. Can someone point me in the right direction for the Model #? Not really interested in newer models. I think this would have been made in the 80’s? Thanks ODT.

Based on your description, I think you're talking about a model 65/66 (medium frame like a K-frame Smith&Wesson size revolver). The 65 has fixed sights while the 66 has the adjustable/target-style rear sight and bigger front sight. My understanding is the Taurus revolvers with wood grips like you describe were about late 1980s to early/mid 1990s. Older Taurus revolvers like you describe are more close in style with pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers. Over the years since I guess the 2000s Taurus revolvers became more their own style away from its Smith and Wesson inspiration in the design. Here are a few pictures of older model 66s/65s. Taurus did blued and stainless(brushed surface rather than bead blast). All the newer revolvers are either matte black or bead blasted stainless. I'm a Smith and Wesson guy, however I do like the look and feel of older Taurus revolvers over their newer stuff.

Attachments

• about-taurus-66-1519990237.jpg
    about-taurus-66-1519990237.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 17
  • older model 65.jpg
    older model 65.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 16
  • taurus 66.jpg
    taurus 66.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 17
Based on your description, I think you're talking about a model 65/66 (medium frame like a K-frame Smith&Wesson size revolver). The 65 has fixed sights while the 66 has the adjustable/target-style rear sight and bigger front sight. My understanding is the Taurus revolvers with wood grips like you describe were about late 1980s to early/mid 1990s. Older Taurus revolvers like you describe are more close in style with pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers. Over the years since I guess the 2000s Taurus revolvers became more their own style away from its Smith and Wesson inspiration in the design. Here are a few pictures of older model 66s/65s. Taurus did blued and stainless(brushed surface rather than bead blast). All the newer revolvers are either matte black or bead blasted stainless. I'm a Smith and Wesson guy, however I do like the look and feel of older Taurus revolvers over their newer stuff.
I think it’s your 3rd pic. Maybe a little longer barrel? Is that a 66? Thank you for sharing this info. If I can Id it for sure and locate one with Made in Brazil, I may start my hunt.

I think it’s your 3rd pic. Maybe a little longer barrel? Is that a 66? Thank you for sharing this info. If I can Id it for sure and locate one with Made in Brazil, I may start my hunt.
The 3rd one is a model 66 (the rear sight is large and adjustable instead of being a notch cut into the top strap of the frame. The pictures I uploaded are examples with 4" barrels. Yours if it had a longer barrel most likely had a 6" barrel. There are plenty of older Taurus model 66s out there with most of them having 4" barrels, but 6" barrel models are not unusual. I'd post a "want to buy" posting and see what's out there. It wasn't long ago you could find them all day long for barely 300 bucks, but now people want a little more since there is perception older Taurus revolvers (specifically from the 80s/90s) are better quality/better looking. I've never owned a Taurus revolver myself, however the only Taurus revolver I shot was an older 80s/90s blued model 66 with a 4" barrel with wood grips.

The 3rd one is a model 66 (the rear sight is large and adjustable instead of being a notch cut into the top strap of the frame. The pictures I uploaded are examples with 4" barrels. Yours if it had a longer barrel most likely had a 6" barrel. There are plenty of older Taurus model 66s out there with most of them having 4" barrels, but 6" barrel models are not unusual. I'd post a "want to buy" posting and see what's out there. It wasn't long ago you could find them all day long for barely 300 bucks, but now people want a little more since there is perception older Taurus revolvers (specifically from the 80s/90s) are better quality/better looking. I've never owned a Taurus revolver myself, however the only Taurus revolver I shot was an older 80s/90s blued model 66 with a 4" barrel with wood grips.
Definitely not a 6”. And it did have the adjustable rear sight. Thank you sir! Love me some ODT!

Back
Top Bottom