• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Teaching New Shooters

DreadPirate

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
3   0
Reaction score
Although I am always on the lookout to expose a person who has never used a firearm to the joys of shooting, I have put in an extra effort this month for NRA Mentor Month. I have taught four new shooters, and evry single one has either purchased a new firearm on the spot (the range I use is also a retailer), or is currently in the shopping/selection process.

For introducing new shooters, I prefer .22 LR and .410. It allows them to concentrate on learning the mechanics without flinching at the big boom. Below is my current teaching kit:

TeachingTools.png

From top to bottom: Henry Golden Boy .22 S-L-LR; Crescent No. 66 Quail Hammerless .410 SxS, Browning Semi-Auto 22 .22LR; Ruger 22/45 MK III .22LR & Heritage Rough Rider .22LR

The only others I would like to eventually add are a .410 pump and .22 AR, and maybe a 1911 .22LR.

Does anyone else have a go-to kit of firearms for newbie instruction?

But I generally have some 'step ups' along and we move up in horsepower based on their comfort level and desire.

Absolutely! On of my "students" was a guy from Guinea (West Africa), has been in the United States for 8 years and is now a full citizen. Once I did the basics on the low-calibers, he lit into a range of firearms that I had brought, and that were also available at the rental counter. His favorites? My Colt LT6720-R TALO and a Kimber 1911. He loved the big boom, and is currently shopping for a 1911.

I'm taking a group next weekend. Rough Rider and M&P 22, then step up with Smith 19 and Glock 17. Marlin/Glenfield bolt action 22 and 10/22, then step up to Sub2k and my 20" AR.

At leats that's the plan. 4 non-shooters and 3 never-have shooters. I can't wait.

I'm taking a group next weekend. Rough Rider and M&P 22, then step up with Smith 19 and Glock 17. Marlin/Glenfield bolt action 22 and 10/22, then step up to Sub2k and my 20" AR.

At leats that's the plan. 4 non-shooters and 3 never-have shooters. I can't wait.

Fantastic! I wish you hadn't mentioned the bolt action .22 though, because now that's got me thinking about buying another rifle.

Yeah it's one of my favorite things to do. I just lay a bunch out on the table and generally start with the 22s. Suppressors also make shooting a lot more enjoyable for newbies.

I have taken several friends and coworkers who had never been shooting before. I have a membership at a local indoor range. I usually start on a 22 from the range (don't own any yet but am in the market) and move on to a 9mm. I have found that the G19 makes a great pistol to start on. Usually bring along a 20 gauge and a basic AR with red dot. I think introducing new shooters to the sport is the best way to help ensure 2A rights. More shooters=more voting gun owners.

Back
Top Bottom