• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tesla coil

My buddy built one of these by himself in 9th grade and had the airport in Kennesaw search him out for causing disruption of their control systems...the thing was built and awesome lol

I built two of them in high school.
One of them I later cannibalized for parts, and the 12,000 volt neon sign transformer became the main component of a Jacob's ladder that could make an arc go up rabbit ears that would get 4" apart at the top end.

My Tesla coil would arc about 8" on a good day.
I'd touch it with my bare hands a lot, but you get pinpoint burns that way.
Much better to grab a short section of metal pipe or a section of threaded rod to touch it with.
It would light up florescent tubes from 10 feet away, and they'd glow super bright if you let one end get zapped with the arc while you held or grounded the other end.

My buddy built one of these by himself in 9th grade and had the airport in Kennesaw search him out for causing disruption of their control systems...the thing was built and awesome lol

I'm sure the next one I build will be a cause of interference. I'm going to use this power pole transformer I have for it. Because I already do stupid stuff with it. (The beeping is the UPS for the computer gear freaking out about undervoltage since I'm pulling god knows how many amps)

I built two of them in high school.
One of them I later cannibalized for parts, and the 12,000 volt neon sign transformer became the main component of a Jacob's ladder that could make an arc go up rabbit ears that would get 4" apart at the top end.

My Tesla coil would arc about 8" on a good day.
I'd touch it with my bare hands a lot, but you get pinpoint burns that way.
Much better to grab a short section of metal pipe or a section of threaded rod to touch it with.
It would light up florescent tubes from 10 feet away, and they'd glow super bright if you let one end get zapped with the arc while you held or grounded the other end.

I just posted a video of a power pole transformer I was using to do that. But here's this coil popping me through a tube. I'm just happy I didn't scream like a little girl.

Back
Top Bottom