• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The 9mm Question: I Have ~ $350-$425 To Spend, What Are My Options?

TautPenguin

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
11   0
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well during the Christmas season. As usual, I can think of no better place to ask my gun-related questions that The ODT. I purchased my first handgun from The ODT (A Ruger P90) and have had nothing but pleasant experiences with it. However, now I am in the market for a 9mm. I've been scouting the internet consistently (a little bit too consistently, if you were to ask my fiance') for a decent 9mm for around $350-$425. I've narrowed it down to a few possibilities, but it would be amazing if I got the expertise of some ODT members. So, the few I've narrowed down to is: Ruger SR9 (picked one up in a gun shop once, it felt amazing in my hand), Ruger P95, Ruger P89, S&W SD9, Taurus PT 917 C, Sig Sauer Pro SP2022, and Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 9mm (I keep reading more and more positive things about Rock Island Armory/Armscor for a bare bones entry level reliable 1911, and I absolutely love the 1911 frame). I didn't list a Glock because from what I've seen, they are just too far out of my price range right now. Maybe I could get lucky somewhere, though. And now, I will list (because we all like lists, right)? the uses for this pistol/what I'm looking for:

- I will be keeping this pistol in a holster in my glove box in my car, for something I can easily clip on to my side when I go out and about.
- I would like this pistol to have a reasonable round capacity (which I'm fairly sure they all will).
- I would like to not have to worry too much about corrosion from leaving it in my glovebox.
- Definitely need it to be reliable, since it is going to be my new carry gun.
- Size really does not matter, as I'm not going to try to carry concealed.
- To note: I am left handed.

Thank you everyone for reading my post, and I look forward to seeing what The ODT members have to say!

Last edited:
I have a well used Ruger SR9c and it's a fine pistol usually available much cheaper than Glocks, etc. Small enough for carry and to put in the glove compartment and it's been 100% reliable with any ammo I've tried. While I carry a 1911, I would not hesitate to tote this one around...

[Broken External Image]:

I have a well used Ruger SR9c and it's a fine pistol usually available much cheaper than Glocks, etc. Small enough for carry and to put in the glove compartment and it's been 100% reliable with any ammo I've tried. While I carry a 1911, I would not hesitate to tote this one around...

[Broken External Image]:

This is great advice, I always forget about the SR9

I loved the SR9 when I held it in the shop. I've seen good prices for the Sigs as well. As for Glocks, I think I could find one on here for my price range, but most of them are too high. And Hi-Points...while I have read some positive things about them, I'm not too sure I'd want to carry one all the time :p! Thank you for the advice so far everyone.

Last edited:
Factoring in the ~ 400 mile round trip drive, the holster, and the ammunition, I'd be facing upwards of $500 if I'd of went for it. Location is an issue for me on here, a lot of people are ~ 400 mile round trip for me. I'll also have to check again to see what stores near me have in stock. Also, anyone can give suggestions for anything that I haven't listed, if they have any better ideas. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

I think you have a great list started already. One thing I would mention on the ria 1911 is the round count. They are a single stack mag and you are limited to 9+1 for capacity. I also know some 1911s are finicky about hollow points. I'm not sure about the ria as I've only run FM through mine. Some other options are the s&w m&p. These are great guns and I have a m&p9c on my hip right now. Another option, if you can find one, is a cz-75.

Back
Top Bottom