• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The age old question: Pool or no pool?

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I am looking at having a pool put in and I live in South East GA so close to Florida it may as well be part of North Florida.

What type of pool: Cement, fiberglass or liner?

Salt water or chlorine?

Shape of pool?

Covered or not?

Heated or not?

Size and cost to install and time from start to using?

Also, I would definitely not do the liner type pool, with you having dogs could have the liner destroyed. Yes I seen it happen. Dog gets in the pool, panics, cannot find his way out, scratching the side, pool liner tore up= very costly repair.

Expensive and devalues your property , and makes it harder to sell when the time comes.

If you want one for your kids, fine. Put it in so they can use it while they are kids.

My neighbor put in a liner type, and it works ok. I have lots of experience with cement, and they require maintenance after 5 yrs, or so, and are expensive to fix. Liners have to be replaced , so that is a maintenance hit for them..

Any of the pools can leak, and can be a problem if you have to drain it. The ground can become saturated and the pool shell can pop out of the ground once empty, talk about expensive!

Pumps require regular repairs, it is best to have a spare on hand and just swap out the bad one and get it fixed.

Salt fo sho.
No heat in your area.
Cement or Fiberglass, company will tell you for your soil type.
Not rectangular or kidney. Custom shaped for your yard/elevation/site lines.
No cover, cheaper with salt to leave open year round.

Had a liner pool when we were stationed in Valdosta. Twice, after torrential rains, the water table rose and actually "floated" the pool liner. When the water table dropped the liner settled, never where it was supposed to be.

After the novelty wears off, you may find it more trouble than it's worth. That being said, I'd go with salt and the least expensive non-liner pool.

I’ve got a pretty large pool (20 x 40 ) 1st liner last 11 years $ 3,000 to replace it. I switched

To salt, you save money on chemicals but the salt cells are expensive and can go out with

One lighting strike. Steps are a must , my Lab swims all the time and uses the steps and doesn’t hurt a thing.

Most important for us was the size of the deep end, we designed ours so no matter how

Far or deep you dive you can not hit the bottom, many broken necks as a result of diving

In a smaller pool, probably the most common pool related accident.

Back
Top Bottom