The "Deadly" 22lr

inkdaddy,
glad you started a new thread on this... for many people that lack the muscles in their hands to operate and control a larger gun a .22lr is a excellent choice. but it's also an excellent choice for those that need a small concealable gun when they don't have a coat or other clothing to hide it.... I've carried a walther pp in .22lr for many years it's great in the summer. no worry about what I wear, shorts t-shirt doesn't matter. lets see you do that with your large calibers. carry it with a round chambered, hammer down and safety off... just a semi heavy double action pull to get things rolling. having carried for a little over 40 years and have had to use a gun to stop things.... I can tell you self defense problems don't happen at 20 yards but more like under 8 feet most of the time. so many of you laugh about what a .22 will do.... well I promise you that at this distance I won't be making a body shot.... try a three round burst to the head. and a kinda funny part of carrying it is that I've been searched and patted down for weapons and they never found it. the walther pp in .22lr was for several decades refered to as the gun of choice for professionals..... most intelligent agencies of the world carried it... mine happens to be ex-mossad issue... the dealer I got it from also got a batch from british mi-6. if people like this are comfortable carrying and using a .22 then whats your problem? I have no lack of choice of handguns to carry, have dozens in everything from .22, 9mm, .45acp, .44 mag but my go to for summertime carry will always be my little walther. another point is that with the high price of ammo, how many of you with say a .380 go out and fire 2 or 3 hundred rounds for practice? I bet none of you. that 300 rounds cost me what about 8 bucks.... yes I have lots of ammo stored away.... and that .380 will cost you as much as $120. or maybe more. even cheap 9mm reloads will cost you $50. or more. a little .22 on your person is always better than that big heavy .45 left in the truck cause you can't hide it and not look like a fool with a coat on in the summer.

Aim small, miss small, regardless of the round you are shooting. Spray and pray usually don't have good results, regardless of the rounds you are spraying.

If I was going to be in a pistol shoot out, I'd prefer to have my Browning Buckmark. Very reliable with all kinds of 22 lr ammo. very accurate, and easy to keep on target for the two or three rounds that are just feet behind the first round.
You can actually squirrel hunt with a Buckmark and be successful, I'm not so sure that my other pistoles would be that accurate.

Regardless of what I'm defending myself with, the perp will be shot at least twice, if not three times before I do a status check.
Overkill you say? There's no such think as killing something too dead.

A 22 short will kill you dead as a door nail.

Work's well on fly's at 50 yards as well:)
006.JPG

Aim small, miss small, regardless of the round you are shooting. Spray and pray usually don't have good results, regardless of the rounds you are spraying.

If I was going to be in a pistol shoot out, I'd prefer to have my Browning Buckmark. Very reliable with all kinds of 22 lr ammo. very accurate, and easy to keep on target for the two or three rounds that are just feet behind the first round.
You can actually squirrel hunt with a Buckmark and be successful, I'm not so sure that my other pistoles would be that accurate.

Regardless of what I'm defending myself with, the perp will be shot at least twice, if not three times before I do a status check.
Overkill you say? There's no such think as killing something too dead.

A 22 short will kill you dead as a door nail.

So you actually carry a Buckmark as your EDC? Because if you don't, then I don't think you trust your own statements.

Sure, a 22 can kill you. So can a baseball bat, an ice pick, a lucky punch, a funnel web spider, a coral snake, and drinking too much.

So what? The goal is not killing someone, it's stopping the threat as quickly as possible. Killing them does no good if they live long enough to return the favor.

Sure, you may be able to put one in their eye if they stand there like a statue, but can you do that while they're running at you, dodging, or shooting back? That's the entire point of a larger caliber; to allow you to stop the threat quickly with a less than optimal shot.

Even squirrel hunters rarely shoot squirrels on the move.

So you actually carry a Buckmark as your EDC? Because if you don't, then I don't think you trust your own statements.

Sure, a 22 can kill you. So can a baseball bat, an ice pick, a lucky punch, a funnel web spider, a coral snake, and drinking too much.

So what? The goal is not killing someone, it's stopping the threat as quickly as possible. Killing them does no good if they live long enough to return the favor.

Sure, you may be able to put one in their eye if they stand there like a statue, but can you do that while they're running at you, dodging, or shooting back? That's the entire point of a larger caliber; to allow you to stop the threat quickly with a less than optimal shot.

Even squirrel hunters rarely shoot squirrels on the move.

There will not be one in the eye socket, there will two or three.

Will your "larger" caliber penetrate a bullet proof vest?

If I have to stop a threat with a firearm it will be forever, not just so my tax dollars can be spent to patch them up so they can go about business as usual.
I ain't in the wounding business. I also shoot deer, squirrel, rabbits, and most anything else I shoot with a rifle or pistol, in the head. I aim to kill, not wound.

Nwsharpshooter, what did you shoot with yourself and how? What type of ammo?Glad you are here to comment and tell the story. I really don't care what people carry, I say carry all the time and stay aware of your surroundings. Train with your gun and never underestimate how dangerous the other person might be. Fights for your life are never scheduled. The other guy isn't going to tell you here is there to hurt you or your family.

A friend's wife has cancer and chemo treatments left her very sensitive to recoil and with reduced muscle strength. She liked the SR-22, but I had a problem with her learning the stupid backwards safety on the thing. We tried the LCR in 22 and she liked that, but we ended up with the LCR in 22 Magnum.

The trigger on the LCRs was a little more stout than in the SR, but it was manageable for her at normal times, and I'm sure that under stress and adrenaline should wouldn't have any problems. All in all, it worked out pretty well, and while she luckily never had to use it before she finally passed, just knowing his wife wasn't defenseless when she was on her own helped my friend out a lot as well.

Yes, it would be nice if we could all carry an AR with us. After all, as Col. Cooper said; 'a pistol is just a tool to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have put down in the first place.'

Reality means that you have to make some compromises though. If a 22 is it, it's still better than harsh words.

There will not be one in the eye socket, there will two or three.

Will your "larger" caliber penetrate a bullet proof vest?

If I have to stop a threat with a firearm it will be forever, not just so my tax dollars can be spent to patch them up so they can go about business as usual.
I ain't in the wounding business. I also shoot deer, squirrel, rabbits, and most anything else I shoot with a rifle or pistol, in the head. I aim to kill, not wound.
No matter which side of the equation one sits, I know from first hand experience that 22lr will not penetrate a level II vest, and most folks wearing a vest wear a level IIIA these days. 22lr zipping through a protective vest is internet bovine scat.

Reactions: JWC
Back
Top Bottom