The Die Hard brand name don't mean ****.

The original Toyota battery was replaced at 3 years old when it went out but the 7 year ( prorated) replacement just keeps going. The heat may get it this year...
When I bought my 87 Ford Tempo 2 door 5 speed in 90 it had the original Motorcraft sealed battery still in it. That battery kept on trucking until around 94. After that I probably went through 2 or 3 Auto Zone and Pep Boys batteries before trading that car in on a 95 Neon. Point is...that factory battery was a damn good one. Big difference than the aftermarket brands.

Battery materials and construction techniques have changed over the years. Hence the different levels of warranty, within the same brands. Built down to a price nowadays, also the thinner plates tend to go suddenly, rather than giving you some warning getting weaker over time. In the 80's I used to be able tell a battery was failing for months before it finally gave up..

The original Toyota battery was replaced at 3 years old when it went out but the 7 year ( prorated) replacement just keeps going. The heat may get it this year...
I just remember the original battery in my first wrx lasted 6.5 years and it was Panasonic. And they use a lot of the same suppliers.

I just remember the original battery in my first wrx lasted 6.5 years and it was Panasonic. And they use a lot of the same suppliers.
That reminds me of buying smaller batteries at any store. My wife would buy Dollar General batteries or Dollar Tree batteries that were just bull****. So not too long ago I took out my digital dope/silver scale and I weighed one AA battery against a brand name battery. Short answer is that the brand name battery weighed almost twice as much as the dollar store battery. So I don't know what goes into batteries but I DO know that brand name batteries have twice as much.

The longest lasting batteries have been the factory batteries in diesels. Both farm tractor and truck, 13yrs. New Holland and Dodge. Next would be Japanese 7 and 8yrs, Nissan and Toyota.

Back
Top Bottom