• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The Nature of The Threat

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
It seems, from a self defense perspective, the nature of the threat is changing. I suspect that in recent years most armed people have carried a mouse gun. I am including a small single stack 9 in this group for this discussion. I would say that a good percentage of that group was foreseeing an encounter with a lone person or maybe 2 or 3 thugs that might be armed with a handgun. Enter the present. Chances are getting greater that you may encounter one or more well armed individuals. I am talking AR or AK type of well armed. Have any of you started to revaluate your choice of a CCW?

Many years ago, I remember talking with Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch. He said something then that now comes to mind. Speaking on the subject of CCW, he said, a concealed carry handgun should be more comforting than comfortable.

I have been guilty of slipping the .380 in the pocket holster instead of something more substantial. Have recently rethought this and got a comfortable IWB for the G21sf. Yesterday's events have me rethinking security at my place of worship a place where I generally don't carry.

I have changed from a Glock 43 to a Glock 22. I also now carry 2 xtra mags. I can't stand leaving anything in my car but I am thinking of building something to leave
a cheap AR/AK in. Maybe under the rear seat or a safe in the trunk. The world is changing. I hate this for my kids. It is time to start doing some training with the family.
The son knows not to leave the apartment without his gun. Glad they finally passed the campus carry. It makes me sick to think of what is going on around us.
Americans killing Americans. WTF!!!!!

went from a lcp to a 26. carry an extra 19 mag with me. always have something in the truck, just in case.
i dont plan on using it, but i plan just in case i need it..

I've been thinking about the same thing. I know of @6 guys who regularly carry in my Sunday service. Maybe all those .380's in anger will add up? I don't typically wear a sport coat but think I will start so I can conceal a larger handgun.

Went from KTP32 to PF90 Kahr CM9 to P45, then G19 and now with the crap happening nowadays, VBP9 Tactical, & 2 mags,for its size fits nice under a shirt in a Gearcraft Holster.

I carry a Glock 30S with 10 round mag IWB all the time. We dress casual at church so it rides well, with a spare 10 round mag in my back pocket. 45 ACP should get the job done or so I was thinking until Sunday. The Saturday we had our Fall Festival at church in Dallas and there was a credible threat (according to the local LEO) that there might be some Antifa goings on and in general there was heightened tension so I upped the ante. I used to always carry a Sig p-239 in 9mm IWB but thought about people wearing body armor and the effect a 9mm might have on a chest shot compared to a .45 ACP to the chest. I think the .45 will put them back long enough for me to get in close enough for a head of crotch shot.

The preacher was carrying .380, 3 others that I know were carrying 9mm and there were some I wasn't sure about, but, I have a Ruger .45ACP that is a bigger frame but if I wear a longer pull over shirt I can carry that OWB and I have a carrier for 2 extra magazines. That's a bit of weight and being 66 almost 67 years old that can get me down in the back but I feel like it is a small price to pay to keep the flocks safe or at least to be able to send back a credible response to an armed shooter.

If I could figure a way to bring my Marlin 30-30 level rifle in then I think that would be a good plan. It's not scary like my AR but no place to put it where it's not apparent what I have. It, or the AR does me no good if they are in the car in the parking lot and not within arm reach.

We already have a plan in place at the church with designated zones, etc. but we are meeting seriously this coming Saturday to discuss how we can identify everyone in the service that is armed so we don't take down one of our own and also we are going to have to stand guard outside the sanctuary. Also, children's church is in another building and there is no one armed in that ministry that I know of so how to protect the children? We will have some LEO visit with us to discuss our plans.

These are the things that keep you up at night trying to figure out how to be a good protector/sheepdog if the time ever comes I am needed to act.

As an aside, I spent some time in war zones and have shot my share of the bad guys and have had my share of hand to hand knife fighting (an empty rifle is not that good against someone with an empty rifle and a bayonet but get into range of my k-bar and all bets were off. I won, he didn't.

This is deadly serious business. I treat it as such and have no time for people who snicker or laugh and say "hey, it can't happen to me"

I typically carry a lcp in my pocket and a g19 in my maxpedition jumbo bible bag to church. I'm on the security team and after this past sunday might upgrade the g19 to my g40. It ways a little more but carrys the same in the bag and Heaven forbid something goes down I would rather have 3- 15rd mags of 10mm to stop a rifle wielding threat than 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom